• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will you buy AMD or Nvidia when next gen GPUs are available?

C64

C64

Soldato
after the 5600xt gate I shant be even thinking of buying an amd card until 2023 ish
this gen seems dodgy if they're not even desktop stable out of the box somethings gone badly wrong

I tried all the available bios on my 5600xt and none were even desktop stable for much more than about 10 minutes

My rx470 has been solid but it's really put me off buying amd for years now

Last edited:
Soldato
after the 5600xt gate I shant be even thinking of buying an amd card until 2023 ish
this gen seems dodgy if they're not even desktop stable out of the box somethings gone badly wrong

I tried all the available bios on my 5600xt and none were even desktop stable for much more than about 10 minutes

My rx470 has been solid but it's really put me off buying amd for years now

That is not 100% the fault of AMD,if Gigabyte lies that their GPU supports faster GDDR6 and doesn't? RMA the graphics card?? My Gigabyte GTX960 to this day has BIOS problems too,ie,it repeatedly has cold boot problems with any system it is used in,and I even flashed the latest BIOS onto it.

C64

C64

Soldato
That is not 100% the fault of AMD,if Gigabyte lies that their GPU supports faster GDDR6 and doesn't? RMA the graphics card?? My Gigabyte GTX960 to this day has BIOS problems too,ie,it repeatedly has cold boot problems with any system it is used in,and I even flashed the latest BIOS onto it.
no mate it wasnt just that the card wasnt even desktop stable out of the box on latest drivers

Soldato
no mate it wasnt just that the card wasnt even desktop stable out of the box on latest drivers

So the GPU is faulty - so RMA it?? Sounds like you got a dud of a GPU,and if you can get your money back,it would be the best option.The Gigabyte GTX960 was the most fiddly GPU I ever had - for some reason I thought my old motherboard was the problem,but when I got a new GPU,the problem went away! So by the time I realised it the warranty had expired! :( It was a shame as the GPU was quiet,compact and had a decent cooler too.

Permabanned
Damm i read that wrong sorry! I was gonna say Nvidia have better features. Cant beat 4k at 280fps can you? Gsync and Freesync covered as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unless Nvidia undercuts AMD by clear margin in price per performance I wouldn't touch them except using blunt instrument.
Nvidia has been lately overcharging such amounts per performance and stagnating performance per price.
And even if there weren't those, there's NVidia's heavy anticonsumerism in trying to sabotage competition in every turn.
Nvidia makes Intel look almost white grey knight instead of black.

Do nvidia cards work well on Freesync? I've an XR341CK which does 30-75Hz and initially bought a 1080 but had to get rid as I couldn't get on with losing Freesync. Happy to buy either but need good variable refresh performance.
That monitor probably has quirks also with Radeons.
Some of those early FreeSync monitors were such.
Modern FreeSync monitors are pretty sure to work.
https://www.techspot.com//article/1779-freesync-and-nvidia-geforce/
https://www.techspot.com/article/1810-lg-freesync-and-nvidia-geforce/

C64

C64

Soldato
So the GPU is faulty - so RMA it?? Sounds like you got a dud of a GPU,and if you can get your money back,it would be the best option.The Gigabyte GTX960 was the most fiddly GPU I ever had - for some reason I thought my old motherboard was the problem,but when I got a new GPU,the problem went away! So by the time I realised it the warranty had expired! :( It was a shame as the GPU was quiet,compact and had a decent cooler too.
no look on reddit loads having issues with 5600/5700's the quality control seems poor

Soldato
mid this 2012?

Yes. I have precisely one game that uses RT: the Quake 2 RTX demo. And while RT is of interest to me, traditional 3D acceleration is vastly more important. Besides, I do still have games from that era and before to which I go back now and then: Dark Star One, Freespace 2, Far Cry, Command & Conquer 3, and more. More recently there are Borderlands 2 & 3. Not a drop of RT to be seen.

Soldato
no look on reddit loads having issues with 5600/5700's the quality control seems poor

I know some people with RX5600XT/RX5700XT cards and apart from the launch driver bugs they seem mostly fine? They seem to be also holding their value too,as my mate recently sold their 5700XT for almost the same money they paid for it,and are using a stop-gap GPU until the new GPUs are released. Also my Gigabyte GTX960 was the most finicky GPU I have owned - I have never had a GPU which had cold boot problems. It works fine once it booted a few times,but it meant I could never sell it on and I wouldn't give it to a mate as I don't trust it's reliability. Epic tier Gigabyte BIOS work at play there! But then I am not so lucky with Gigabyte,as the only motherboard I had which went kaput was also Gigabyte due to the BIOS randomly corrupting itself. Go figure!

Also IMHO,I wouldn't be getting a new GPU now,due to the new generation launching this year. Better to return the card and sit on your money for a few more months!

Last edited:
Associate
I'll buy whichever gives the best performance at a given price point and AMD if they're even. I'm not bothered about RT unless whichever card I buy can use it in a meaningful way at 4K without a significant performance hit. By this I mean if I have to drop resolution from 4K to 1440 to use it then I won't bother I want it IN ADDITION to other features not either or. Also as you say if I can get similar or better performance on a next gen console for the price of a new GPU then I certainly won't buy that GPU and almost certainly will buy a next gen console. All being equal I'll definitely go AMD as I haven't owned an AMD card since 295x2 (I had two in quadfire) and I don't want to reward Nvidia for taking the pi$$ with pricing on Turing especially since their RT/dlss wasn't worth the preposterous premium MR shiny leather jacket was demanding. Of course if I'd bought more 2080ti's than one or even any then I'd have saved more.....:rolleyes:;)

Soldato
Yes. I have precisely one game that uses RT: the Quake 2 RTX demo. And while RT is of interest to me, traditional 3D acceleration is vastly more important. Besides, I do still have games from that era and before to which I go back now and then: Dark Star One, Freespace 2, Far Cry, Command & Conquer 3, and more. More recently there are Borderlands 2 & 3. Not a drop of RT to be seen.

I'm asking about tesselation- it's so easy to run for any modern card why are you worried about it

Soldato
OP
A driver issue I thought was caused by the AMD driver, seems to be entirely caused by overclocking with MSI Afterburner, with my R9 390. When I overclock the GPU and go into sleep mode, then leave the computer for a while (I think at least an hour), it can't wake up / restore back to Windows 10.

The AMD software needs improvement for older graphics cards, it doesn't properly support cards before the RX 400 series (no voltage adjustment), like mine, or I would just use AMD's overclocking utility.

As far as I know, the only solution is to undo the overclock and shut down MSI Afterburner before going into sleep mode. I think it happens when restarting the PC too, if I have Afterburner set to load on startup.

I'd guess the overclocking support is better with (most) Nvidia cards? I don't think this will influence my decision to go with AMD or Nvidia though, as any card I buy shouldn't need to rely on an OC for sufficient performance.

Back
Top Bottom