• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will you buy AMD or Nvidia when next gen GPUs are available?

Soldato
OP
I'd prefer it if AMD's drivers + software was a bit more modular, so that people who just want stability and don't wanna tweak can have that...
So, just a driver and minimal software for ppl who just want reliability, with greater scrutiny for WHQL display drivers.

Still, the 'AMD Radeon Software' is quite a bit better than the old Control Panel, partly due to starting from scratch so that now it doesn't include old / redundant components.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
There were some rumours about Navi 2x having twice the performance of 1st gen Navi.

Realistically, I think the top end Navi 2x is unlikely to have more than 2x the theoretical performance of RX 5600 XT. It might even be less than that, the numbers below still look a bit too high to me, I think it will be closer to the console Navi chips, which have a modest boost in clock rate or ROP count.

Pixel Rate
199.68‬ GPixel/s

Texture Rate
449.2‬ GTexel/s

TFLOPS
14.376‬

Those values would still make it significantly faster than a RTX 2080 TI. If AMD could sell that for £400 I think it would be a massive hit, but AMD will probably charge more because it will be marketed as a premium / 'flagship' product, unlike previous generations.

I think faster cards are possible in the near future if AMD can build a graphics card with 2 or 3 GPUs on a single PCB, maybe that will be Navi 3x?

EDIT - It's probably closer to 100% performance increase vs GCN according to this AMD slide:
https://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2020/03/AMD-RDNA-Power-Efficiency-2.jpg

Maybe they mean GCN 4 (rx 400 and rx 500 series). Or, maybe it's just marketing BS for investors...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ill buy whatever is best and for as long as i can remember its been Nvidia's offering at my time of upgrade.

the last card ill ever buy is a 3080ti

I think im done on PC gaming now.. I probably will never need the power of the card but wasting money on my PC is one of my hobbies and i love shiny plastic.

Associate
Nope I’m done with PC gaming for the time being, I’ll run my existing build into the ground and should it live up to its potential and hype I’ll rebuild with Star Citizen in mind.

Right now I’m mostly playing Google Stadia and Oculus Quest anyway

C64

C64

Soldato
I am hoping for a much beefier 1080p performance card don't get why there isn't even a med/high card that can max games at 60 fps 1080p yet the 1080 ti seems the entry level to smooth 60 fps + maxing all new games at 1080p.

I guess they artificially hold back 1080p performance because most people use that it's a bizzarre position where one feels like I have to upgrade my monitor to get more frames at 1440p than 1080p

If say a card can max a game and get 90 fps at 1440p whys it only pushing 45 frames at 1080p it makes no sense to me

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I am hoping for a much beefier 1080p performance card don't get why there isn't even a med/high card that can max games at 60 fps 1080p yet the 1080 ti seems the entry level to smooth 60 fps + maxing all new games at 1080p.

I guess they artificially hold back 1080p performance because most people use that it's a bizzarre position where one feels like I have to upgrade my monitor to get more frames at 1440p than 1080p

If say a card can max a game and get 90 fps at 1440p whys it only pushing 45 frames at 1080p it makes no sense to me
Hmm.. What CPU do you have, maybe that is your bottleneck?

Associate

what you wrote makes no sense, GPUs far below a 1080Ti spec can drive 1080p games way beyond 60fps if you are seeing those results something is very wrong with your setup

Caporegime
More likely Amd as I don't game a lot now, unless Nvidia brings a great card around 250 to 300.
Seems doubtful. Leaks from the other thread were that up to $400 would only get you a 3060, which is rumoured to have the same perf as the 2060 Super.

Ie stagnation at its finest, with a price hike to boot :p

Soldato
Seems doubtful. Leaks from the other thread were that up to $400 would only get you a 3060, which is rumoured to have the same perf as the 2060 Super.

Ie stagnation at its finest, with a price hike to boot :p

I will keep my 580 then not worried to much. :p

Soldato
I'm actually quite torn but probably NVIDIA.

I need the most GPU horse power possible and NVIDIA wil; probably deliver. RTX I'm kind of sold on for the newest games. I also really like NVIDIA's current feature set (Nvidia sharpening which has compataibility with more games and DLSS 2.0 looks extremely exciting).

The reason for me to go for AMD would be:
1. Significantly lower price (AMD won't deliver on this)
2. HDMI 10-bit support over HDMI for 4:4:4

It'll be interesting to see what AMD come up with but if its just a 2080ti equivalent card for £200-300 cheaper than a current 2080ti, then no thanks.

Also NVIDIA seem to be sucking off LG and LG sucking off NVIDIA so it since I use an LG OLED, it makes sense to stay with them for guaranteed gsync compataibility.#

If NVIDIA follow a similar upgrade cycle to what they did in the last gen, I'll get a 3080ti and call it a day for the next 2-4 years hopefully.

I think the bigger question for me is should I upgrade from my 2080 period. Sure I have a HDMI 2.1 compataible TV and will probably upgrade receiver too... but will the 3080+3080ti perform enough rasterisation to be around 100-120hz in most AAA games or will it hover between 60-80 (in which case I might as well just play at 60).

Soldato
My current system plays everything I want to play which is mostly rpg's going back the last 5/6yrs. Forced to retire recently due to a shoulder problem at almost 63yrs young so money gonna be tight. Might splash on one of the consoles as I think they might be better value. Would go back to Amd if Nvidia are greedier than usual.

Soldato
As much as I don't like Nvidia pricing I'll stick with them as each time gone back to AMD nothing but issues.

Went through two faulty RX 470 and one faulty RX480, I only got the RX480 upgraded due to issues.

Last good none issue and card I had was Sapphire GTO2 flashed, great little card it was

Associate
I won't be upgrading this year. My 5700xt has to last me another year at least. At which point I'll get the best price/performance upgrade available from AMD at the time.

I've had a good experience with my last 3 cards & I prefer their open-source approach.

Soldato
My monitors are G-Sync so I'll be staying with Nvidia , I got a 1080 right now but am looking to upgrade but no idea what to go for cos i'm not paying anywhere close to £1000 for a card looking at paying around the £500-ish price point.

Back
Top Bottom