Will You Buy Windows 7???

Caporegime
Just ordered HP from 2 different retailers so hopefully 1 fulfills the order - though I think Ive missed out - cant afford to cover myself by buying another copy just in case :p...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
I don't think anyone who loads up on copies to resell later is going to make a lot of profit. Many, many, people have had the same idea.

indeed. but if you wait until Jan/Feb ebay will be pretty empty of 'cheap' excess pre order noobs like myself. The price will go up, remember lots of people will wait and see what happens with win7, might not make much but i bet selling 6 copies of HP will cover the £90 i paid for my copy of Pro.

Associate
I don't know why a lot of people think they will make big profits by selling on ebay? The average user doesn't know how to install an OS and will end up buying a PC with Windows 7 already pre-loaded.

Soldato
I don't know why a lot of people think they will make big profits by selling on ebay? The average user doesn't know how to install an OS and will end up buying a PC with Windows 7 already pre-loaded.

But people do buy the OS. Otherwise stores wouldn't stock it.

However, I would expect most slaes to be from system builders/enthusiaists who would buy OEM versions.

Also, if academic versions come out like they did with Vista then you'd be able to get retail copies for massive discounts. For example, students can get Windows Vista Ultimate upgrade for £56 and Windows Vista Business upgrade for £40.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking to order now, for most Home/home network usage, Home Premium should be more than enough really shouldn't it? Don't do anything out of the ordinary, and as long as Home Premium allows you to so the usual home network/file sharing shabbang, I can't see it being an issue!

Just thought I'd check first :)

Soldato
I agree with the majority on here that being greedy and pre-ordering loads to sell for profit on ebay is not likely to work out. Many others will have the same idea driving the price down. Other factors as well make it a bit of a gamble. I'm not putting this effort down because I was unable to get copies. I was in more than early enough to bag however many I wanted, but I just left it at 2 copies of Pro, one from one store and one from another as a back up. If both are successful then I'm sure I can sell 1 x pro copy back for a very small profit. If 1 falls through then I have the 1 copy as backup left for myself. If both fall through - I'll be a bit miffed but life goes on. No biggie. Remember what happened with the technet offer though? Perhaps might have fallen under the Microsoft radar if people weren't so greedy with generating 10 keys each for every product. Similar story here. I do wonder how many people have ordered many many copies. I'm not sure etailers had time to impose an actual physical limit per person/credit card/address ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking to order now, for most Home/home network usage, Home Premium should be more than enough really shouldn't it? Don't do anything out of the ordinary

I hear you look at dodgey stuff on the net for which Ultimate is required. Can someone confirm?

;)

Soldato
Could not resist pre-ordering a copy for £42.74

Can you dual boot with 64bit and 32bit installs on 1 PC with the same key?

Thats interesting. Effectively you have 2 installations of windows on 2 identical machines (except that its on the same machine).

Thinking about it, I don't think the 2nd copy would activate.

Back
Top Bottom