Williams documentary Netflix

Soldato
Surprised about this, surprisingly raw for an F1 documentary.
I was following F1 quite intensely in 1986 when he had his accident but was barely aware of what was going on.
Following the documentary I'm struggling to see why he was knighted.
Interesting stuff about Mansell who I idolised at the time.

In summary I think sir Frank and his family had a rubbish life. He was so obsessed by motor racing and probably still is that he didn't notice.
I got the impression he is in denial about a few things though.

Associate
I watched it the other night also, thought it was very good, however it did seem to cut off quite suddenly. would have been great to see more indepth from the Newey Era and when Williams arguably was at its most competitive, there pursuit of other series such as BTCC/Endurance/Williams Engineering. However this of course would mean having to cover the Senna incident which may be why they cut it off where they did. Think there is plenty of mileage left to make a continuation and lots of significant history to be covered.

Frank Williams is completely uncompromising in his pursuit of his F1 team, it seemed very clear that he has no worry in been portrayed in this manor either and there was no brushing over this by his family too, very interesting. Also the relationship between the siblings is also not that great!

As with Slam62, not really heard Mansell portrayed in the manor he was by some of the interviewees, very honest as he is usually idolised, again, in his Championship year maybe it was different?

Highly recommended viewing for anyone with any interest in F1 / Motorsport.

Soldato
spotted this last night but didn't have enough time to watch it - looking forward to catching up with it this week although Ive lost interest in F1 generally due to general lack of competitiveness down the grid

Soldato
Thank you for the link. Watched tonight. A truly incredible documentary, so powerful and moving, and very melancholy too. Amazing how similar Claire looks to Ginny, and the real spirit she shares.

I'm not sure I could quite respect Frank if he never reads that book...

Soldato
as above quite strange how they miss out the period from about 87 /88 - early 2000's without barely any comment (nothing at all apart from the early guest appearance from JV)

They don't quite say it, but Sir Frank was basically a con artist in his early career as a parts / car seller

I got the impression that he was reading Ginny's book (off camera) during the last few scenes but yeah I agree he should definitely read it (however difficult it would be given her loss)

Soldato
Just watched it. Epic story of an extraordinary man.
Maybe I missed it but I'm not clear how Claire managed to become deputy TP considering Frank didn't want that and presumably he wanted his son in that role. And she and her brother fell out about it as he wanted that position.

Soldato
Just watched it. Epic story of an extraordinary man.
Maybe I missed it but I'm not clear how Claire managed to become deputy TP considering Frank didn't want that and presumably he wanted his son in that role. And she and her brother fell out about it as he wanted that position.
I think they were clearly intending for that bit to be a bit vague myself

I remember the animosity clearly between Claire and her brother - but she was also clear she didnt "lobby" Sir Frank to get the job, she seemed to suggest she started in relatively low level jobs around the factory /team before building up.

Back
Top Bottom