Wimbledon 2010 *Spoilers in here*

Associate
I don't think you can call tennis boring based on this tournament. Yes, it was a disappointing end, but that is bound to happen once in a while in all big tournaments, no matter which sport. Last year we had a 5 set thriller for the final, and the year before was brilliant. In fact that match two years ago was one of the best finals ever.

Man of Honour
Just caught the final set of the mixed doubles and that was quite an enjoyable match, a few decent rallies going on and some lightning reactions at the net. Congratulations to Leander Paes and Cara Black for their win.

Don
What's with your dislike of Nadal? Everytime he wins it's because the other player plays **** and that's hardly discent. You should watch some football and then you'll see officials getting abuse :p

I guess I'm bias because Nadal's my favourite player (in fact I only really started paying much attention to Tennis when he burst onto the scene) but I think the guy's a bit of a monster; 8 slams at 24? :eek:

It would be brave to bet against him at the French over the next few years and he's starting to look like the best grass court player around too. If he can stay fairly injury free over the next 4-5 years, he could be up there challenging Federer's 16 titles.

Soldato
If he can stay fairly injury free over the next 4-5 years, he could be up there challenging Federer's 16 titles.

Yeah thats the main point with Rafa, if he can stay fit!

However the positives for him this year is that his scheduling is working out for him, will be interesting to see how he approaches the US Open, I suspect he will miss one of the tournaments in the lead up to make sure his knees wont give him a problem.

I'm already looking forward to what could be the most open US Open...pardon the pun...in recent history.

With Rafa and Novak looking like the top 2 seeds going into that Grand Slam you could potentially have Rafa and Fed in the same side of the draw. Plus I think we may see some upheaval in the Murray camp with Miles getting the boot...hopefully...and Murray gets someone more experienced in :) It has been talked about and it may see his game step up even further.

Just disappointed theres a 3 week delay until the next tourney in Vancouver :(

Don
Yeah thats the main point with Rafa, if he can stay fit!

However the positives for him this year is that his scheduling is working out for him, will be interesting to see how he approaches the US Open, I suspect he will miss one of the tournaments in the lead up to make sure his knees wont give him a problem.

I'm already looking forward to what could be the most open US Open...pardon the pun...in recent history.

IINM he skipped a tournement in Baracelona(?) before Madrid because of the problems he had last year. There was a lot of talk from the commentators that his knees appear fine but he did say in his press-conference that he's unlikely to go over for the WC final if Spain make it because he's going to have treatment on his knees.

Agreed about the US Open, from my little Tennis knowledge, I could come up with half a dozen players that have a realistic chance of winning it.

Soldato
Since you asked... :D

I don't like his timewasting between points. He knows he is breaking the rules every match but carries on doing it anyway (Djokovic is guilty of this as well), but only a few umpires have the balls to give him a time violation. He takes even longer when he's facing break points.

I don't like the fact that he jumps up and down during the coin toss and that he will stay seated when the umpire calls time and will only move after his opponent gets up. Earlier this year in Madrid Federer made Nadal get up first after the changeover by sitting after time was called. Nadal stared at him for a while then finally went.

Another example of his complete disregard for the rules is during the change of ends in a tie break. It's supposed to be continuous play but Nadal ALWAYS stops for water. Yes some other players stop as well but they do it quickly. Nadal has his own special OCD "drinking routine" with his 2 bottles that he MUST take 2 sips each from and then takes extra time to make sure they are placed perfectly on the court. He got booed by the crowd for doing this while Roddick waited at the other end of the court for him for almost a minute and a half - it may not seem like a long time but it all of his OCD timewasting habits add up and really frustrate his opponent and is pretty much gamesmanship.

Most of all I hate the part time tennis commentators like Andrew Castle banging on about "what an amazing shot that is" after he hits a run of the mill forehand down the line yet doesn't quite have the same level of excitement when his opponent does the same. Then you have Sue Barker saying "Wow look at that! He is really up for this!" when Nadal sprints to the back of the court, yet he does this in EVERY BLOODY MATCH of the year.

Soldato
Since you asked... :D

I don't like his timewasting between points. He knows he is breaking the rules every match but carries on doing it anyway (Djokovic is guilty of this as well), but only a few umpires have the balls to give him a time violation. He takes even longer when he's facing break points.

I don't like the fact that he jumps up and down during the coin toss and that he will stay seated when the umpire calls time and will only move after his opponent gets up. Earlier this year in Madrid Federer made Nadal get up first after the changeover by sitting after time was called. Nadal stared at him for a while then finally went.

Another example of his complete disregard for the rules is during the change of ends in a tie break. It's supposed to be continuous play but Nadal ALWAYS stops for water. Yes some other players stop as well but they do it quickly. Nadal has his own special OCD "drinking routine" with his 2 bottles that he MUST take 2 sips each from and then takes extra time to make sure they are placed perfectly on the court. He got booed by the crowd for doing this while Roddick waited at the other end of the court for him for almost a minute and a half - it may not seem like a long time but it all of his OCD timewasting habits add up and really frustrate his opponent and is pretty much gamesmanship.

Most of all I hate the part time tennis commentators like Andrew Castle banging on about "what an amazing shot that is" after he hits a run of the mill forehand down the line yet doesn't quite have the same level of excitement when his opponent does the same. Then you have Sue Barker saying "Wow look at that! He is really up for this!" when Nadal sprints to the back of the court, yet he does this in EVERY BLOODY MATCH of the year.

:D Loved that post Gambitt....to be fair he does annoy me too with the time wasting, it effects some opponents more than others.

It's what he does though and if he gets away with it then he will continue to do that, as you said not many Umpires have the balls to say anything.

Don
He's not the only player to get away with things though; Nadal got fined for 'coaching' didn't he? During the final Berdych continuously and blatantly looked up to his coach before deciding whether to challenge calls and he didn't even get a warning.

As for Nadal specifically; is it gamesmanship or is he genuinely that ****ed up? :p

Soldato
Going by this post I thought he punched him or something. It was hardly terrible behaviour :confused:

Actually, rewatching the clip, it seems nadal was angry with berdych because berdych was being rude by shushing the crowd who were supporting nadal in his hometown, so now I can see why nadal was saying 'very bad, very bad'. I thought he was saying very bad about the way the match went.

Back
Top Bottom