Wimbledon 2019

Soldato
Tie break in the 5th set is a bit of an anti climax, but I can understand why they introduced it. Maybe for the final, they should go back to how it was.

Disappointed Roger didn't win, but I felt he when he had match point, that was his chance. Sadly he couldn't take it. After that, seemed it was only a matter of time before Novak triumphed.

Soldato
They could probably do it by playing best of 3 for the first three rounds then moving to best of 5 after that.

Yea, and while we're at it the women's football teams can start playing 60 minute matches and run 15 mile "marathons". It's crazy that tennis just hasn't made it ALL equal.

Soldato
Glad Djokovic won, especially considering he was up against the crowd too. Personally can't stand Federer and his OTT fans.

What exactly can't you stand about him? He's one of the most sincere and down to earth sportsmen that's ever existed and not to mention the greatest tennis player of all time.

Soldato
Gutted about that, I respect Djoko but I don't particularly like him, he's just a bit boring and the type of player who makes the opponent make the error isn't the tennis I really enjoy.

Somehow despite Rafa playing similar stuff he's more likeable, not sure why.

Associate
Congratulations Djokovic, he's a tremendous player but I still can't warm to him. Doesn't have Nadal's humility and fire or Federer's charm (not really a fan of the latter) and seems to try hard too be liked. I'm probably wrong of course. Either way he did well to win after being outplayed for long stretches of the match. Still not a fan of tie-breaks in the 5th, especially in the championship match. An excellent showing from an old man though (in tennis terms).

Soldato
What exactly can't you stand about him? He's one of the most sincere and down to earth sportsmen that's ever existed and not to mention the greatest tennis player of all time.

I personally wouldn't call someone who has produced their own merchandise that their team wears to matches as down to earth (I'm talking about the whole RF branded stuff such as caps)*. It's mainly his fans, I find their over the top support balanced with their lack of appreciation for his opponent's points hard to stomach. Anyone would think the whole of Switzerland are at his games which clearly isn't the case. Djokovic is also a fantastic player, being only 3 grand slams off Federer's numbers and also deserves respect in my opinion. I don't believe Djokovic deserves the criticism he gets, it's not like he's Nick Kyrgios with all his ridiculous antics.

*This isn't reserved for Federer, can't stand when other individual athlete does this such as Floyd Mayweather - clearly one of the greats also but the TMT branding is just nauseous. You're an individual athlete, not a club or team that needs to come together as a brand.

Soldato
Federer, having six more grand slams and having won at all four slams makes up for having won one less ATP final than Sampras.

Federer was thwarted three times on clay by the king of clay. If it weren't for Nadal, Federer would likely have four French titles, not one. As mentioned above; Sampras didn't even get to one French final.

I think it's only a matter of time though before Novak surpasses Roger and will have to be considered the greatest. Not a day I'm particularly looking forward to I must admit.

Back
Top Bottom