Win 10 Clean install Problem

Associate
Hi - maybe someone can help
My brother's PC like mine had become unstable after the upgrade from Win 7 so I went to do a clean install
Mobo Z97-K Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
SSD SM951 256GB M.2 PCI-e 3.0 x 4 NVMe Solid State Drive

I wanted to boot from USB2 stick to run Parted Magic to secure erase drive. Despite setting USB as 1st boot device and clicking on drive in Secure boot menu it constantly booted into windows.
I had previously used same USB stick to clean install on my PC with standard Samsung SSD so I know it works.
The stick was in both a usb2 port and a USB3.
I even tried the recovery boot in Windows where the USB drive also showed up but clicking on it still booted to Windows.
I ended up resetting the PC. [I don't know if this is as good as a clean install]
Is this a BIOS fault or peculiar to M2 drives. If the later then how to secure erase it! [option in Samsung magician not available to secure erase & their created USB never works as SSD drives are "frozen" so hence using Parted Magic]

Any thoughts or tips welcome;)

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Sounds like the USB drive isn't being recognised by the BIOS. Many PCs have evolved so you might be set to boot using UEFI type formats. You might have to add or remove a legacy type setting in the BIOS so the USB is recognisable in boot.

I recently worked through some 14 different PCs cloning HDDs to SDDs using Acronis on a USB stick to boot. All but one went fine. The one that didin't go to plan had been setup with EFI in the BIOS and simply refused to work from the stick.

Soldato
Hammer F12 after powering on and that will bring up a menu which will let you choose the boot device.

edit: I think F12 works on asus boards. If not, check your manual.

Back
Top Bottom