Win 10 instal with new motherboard

Associate
Hi guys,

Just a quick question really. I have to get a new MB as the one I have is pretty much knackard, and is arriving tomorrow.

The old z77 board and machine had windows 7 on it and I did the free upgrade thingy from Microsoft to Windows 10 and was fully activated.

Now I have to change the MB, Ive heard that the only way to get it reactivated is to reinstal windows 7 then do the upgrade all over again, even though I have a bootable usb with windows 10 on it that I downloaded from MS. Is there another way around this?

D3K

D3K

Soldato
My machine is still sitting in activation limbo having changed my mobo a couple of weeks ago. I'm not too fussed at the minute as all my hardware is in a state of flux (cou is rma'd, have 2 mobos that I haven't settled on)

I haven't read anything about a reinstall of the base OS then upgrading yielding activation. That sounds like it could be abused too much for MS to allow - upgrade 7 to 10 on one machine, install 7 on another and upgrade again.

I'd double check your sources on that. For me it's been 2 weeks since activation died, and I now have a "Windows is not activated" watermark on my desktop.

I've been meaning to call again but haven't had the time.

Associate
OP
I think because probably win 10 upgrade is OEM rather than full version which is maybe why I have revert to my full version of 7 then upgrade again.. who knows

Back
Top Bottom