1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win10 Upgrade - Will this mess things up?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Namsnik, 29 Jul 2016.

1. Namsnik

Gangster

I just realised that I have not upgraded all my licences.

I have a Win7 OEM licence. I believe that this is linked to the motherboard and CPU both of which I still have in use.
    However on that PC I think I did a clean install of Win 8.1 and then 10 based on a non-OEM license. The product ID reported by Belarc does not have OEM in it.

So, subject to your advice I plan to:
    • Remove my existing SSD boot disk from the PC and put in a different disk.
    • clean install Win 10 using the OEM product key
    • take an image using macrium reflect
    • put my original SSD back and remove the disk with the original OEM windows
    • At a later time I will use my non-OEM licence on a different PC but am hoping that I don't need to do that today.

Q1 Will that secure me an extra licence or will it risk screwing up my non-OEM licence (eg if microsoft link it to my hardware)?

Q2 Do I need to register the OEM windows 10 with a different microsoft account?

Q3 I have another Win 8 or 8.1 licence that I haven't upgraded but I don't know which is the unused key. I have a variety of Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 keys can I tell which have already been used to support an upgrade to windows 10?

Thanks for your advice.

2. Hagar

Capodecina

OEM is linked to the hardware.

You do not score an additional licence.

3. Namsnik

Gangster

I think I may not have been clear. I am sure that I will free up a licence if I do it the right way.

I have an existing retail* copy of Win10 on 'the hardware' so I imagine that I can move it to a new pc.
    I can install a clean copy of Win10 on "the hardware" today using my Win 7 OEM licence for that hardware.

Eventually I want to use the "retail" licence on a new pc that I have not yet bought

I guess my question was Must I move that "retail" licence first so that I don't confuse microsoft by temporarily having two separately licensed copies of windows 10 registered to the same hardware?

*"retail" - I guess you would call it a retail copy - it originated from Win8 bought direct from microsoft for £24.99 which I think was a special price because I had taken part in the Win8 customer release preview, subsequently upgraded to 8.1 and finally to Win 10).

4. jpaul

Capodecina

what you suggested worked'ish for me
    - have a dual boot with oem pro 7 that is upgraded to 10 in another partition (both working but strictly need to decide which to keep after 30 days)
    - have a retail 7 home token used on another computer (which I infrequently use and is inconvenient to update - no spare disc space)
    - made a new partition on first system installed 10 and gave it the home 7 key this activated, so I retrieved the token w/produkey, which is then reserved for when/if I update second system.
    Did not yet check retail 7 home is still working on other system, but the oem 10 is still working.
    I will not move this retail home 10 key to a new machine and try and use it simultaenously with old retail home 7 (effectively what you propose) but it is 'reserved'
    took about 30mins