Winchester to Stansted Airport by Public Transport

Soldato
I don't think there is a good way anymore. There used to be direct trains from Basingstoke up towards Stratford/Chelmsford way which would have made things a lot easier, but these days I can't see a way to do it via train without crossing London. Logical route is Winchester to Waterloo then tube to Liverpool Street and from there to Stansted. It's a pain in the rear quite frankly.

Man of Honour
I don't think there is a good way anymore. There used to be direct trains from Basingstoke up towards Stratford/Chelmsford way which would have made things a lot easier, but these days I can't see a way to do it via train without crossing London. Logical route is Winchester to Waterloo then tube to Liverpool Street and from there to Stansted. It's a pain in the rear quite frankly.

Alternatively, from Waterloo to Stratford on Jubilee Line, walk out of station into Montfitchet Rd., turn left, coach stop/pick up point to Stansted maybe 75 metres, journey time from Stratford-Stansted app 50 minutes.

Soldato
Alternatively, from Waterloo to Stratford on Jubilee Line, walk out of station into Montfitchet Rd., turn left, coach stop/pick up point to Stansted maybe 75 metres, journey time from Stratford-Stansted app 50 minutes.

If you get to Stratford you may as well get the train to Bishop's Stortford. Then you can either get a train to the airport, a bus, or a taxi (it's about a 10 minute drive depending on traffic).

Edit: although that looks a blooming slow train at 56 mins. How is the coach quicker?! Not great advertisement for rail...

Associate
Based on fewest steps, my current best is

Winch>Reading (all platforms have lifts)
Reading > Ealing Broadway (walk to central line platform)
Ealing > Liverpool Street (can’t remember exactly, but I think the walk to overground is quite small)
LLS > Stansted

Associate
Why not make life easier, quicker & cheaper and just drive? You can even park for free in Stansted Mountfitchet & get the train for the last few miles if you don't want to pay for airport parking.

Soldato
Based on fewest steps, my current best is

Winch>Reading (all platforms have lifts)
Reading > Ealing Broadway (walk to central line platform)
Ealing > Liverpool Street (can’t remember exactly, but I think the walk to overground is quite small)
LLS > Stansted

Ealing Broadway to Liverpool Street is going to be the longest section of that trip. If you don’t mind the 6-7 minute walk from Paddington to Lancaster, that’s far less of a drag than traversing West London on the tube.

Associate
I'd do :-

Winchester > Reading (all platforms have lifts)
Reading > Paddington
Paddington > Liverpool Street (either Circle or Hammersmith line, at Liverpool Street those lines drop you at the same level as the main train consourse, only a few steps).
LLS > Stansted

Associate
Why not make life easier, quicker & cheaper and just drive? You can even park for free in Stansted Mountfitchet & get the train for the last few miles if you don't want to pay for airport parking.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but any details on where to park for free? Is there a known area or something?

Associate
OP
I've been now I went on the underground and took the train from Totenham Hale. I actually went from Dorchester but I thought it would make it easier for you if I said Winchester as the train goes there anyway. Although it would be a pain changing at Winchester.

Back
Top Bottom