Window cleaner scratched glasss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It never occured to me that this could happen, but yesterday I noticed scratches on one of our first floor windows that was cleaned recently. Our window cleaner uses a soft water system and I'm guessing he got a small stone or grit on one of the bristles.

I will confront him but if he denys it I can't see how I can prove it.

I'm guessing there is no way to repair a deep scratch like this? The window is only a couple of years old :(

xylOh89.png

Soldato
It never occured to me that this could happen, but yesterday I noticed scratches on one of our first floor windows that was cleaned recently. Our window cleaner uses a soft water system and I'm guessing he got a small stone or grit on one of the bristles.

I'm guessing there is no way to repair a deep scratch like this? The window is only a couple of years old :(

xylOh89.png
I imagine you could just repair it for very little.

Associate

xylOh89.png
Why would you accuse your window cleaner ? It's a window . It's fine.

Soldato
If you’re that bothered about it just swap the pane out, very easy job.
Also I can’t imagine the window cleaner would use that much force or go over that area enough times to cause that damage.
They don’t exactly hang about.

Soldato
OP
Also I can’t imagine the window cleaner would use that much force or go over that area enough times to cause that damage.
Go on then. How else has this happened? A bird attacked it with some flint? It's a first floor window remember. If you look at the picture closely you can see there's remnants of bird poop where the scratches are.

Soldato

Not really true. I have done it myself to one of my own windows and no real pressure was used.

Annoying at the time but its going to be about £150 to swap out the glass so I am less bothered now :cry:

Soldato
I assumed (correctly or not) that a professional window cleaner would at the very least have the skill not to scratch a customer’s window.
Still reckon it was aliens tho.

Soldato
I assumed (correctly or not) that a professional window cleaner would at the very least have the skill not to scratch a customer’s window.
Still reckon it was aliens tho.
Are they professional window cleaners, we have a similar guy at with with the brush and long hose, seen him rest the brush on the ground on more than one occasion. Rubbish. Thankfully at home we still have a proper cleaner that does it properly along with cleaning the frames.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Are they professional window cleaners, we have a similar guy at with with the brush and long hose, seen him rest the brush on the ground on more than one occasion. Rubbish. Thankfully at home we still have a proper cleaner that does it properly along with cleaning the frames.
It's a professional outfit yeah, and we've used them for years with no complaints until now. And before we moved house the cleaners there used bush and soft water too.

Whatever happens we'll be changing to a cleaner that uses a traditional system from now on, even though the 2 bathroom windows are impossible to get to with a ladder.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a professional outfit yeah, and we've used them for years with no complaints until now. And before we move the cleaners there used bush and soft water.

Whatever happens we'll be changing to a cleaner that uses a traditional system from now on.
I just imagine it's very hard to actually do a good job of it from a distance as well. If they did scratch it I doubt they'd even know, at least up close they might notice and if honest mention it. Ours does the windows, frames and facia for £15 about once a month.

Soldato
He must have scrubbed the blade up and down to create that, and would remember ... but probably can't really anticipate pressure applied at the end of telescopic pole,
you'd soak it first on a ladder.

recently realised our upper storey windows can be opened, leaving gap at hinge which allows you to reach front & clean big messes, or clean the window/seal interface thoroughly.
e: maybe would help op if window only has horizontal opening/hinge vs vertical.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom