Window Insulation Film

Associate
Hi everyone,

Not a forum section I visit if I'm honest, but OCUK has never let me down so far!

I'm lucky enough to live in a flat with floor to ceiling windows which are 3.5 meters high. They cover two sides of my bedroom and, including the frame, give around 30 square meters of window.

So it looks great, the views are great, but good god does it get cold in the evening! Then I wake up in the morning and, due to it being East facing, I get all the sun and it can be a furnace, though this is less of an issue now it's in single figures overnight. I've got thick curtains which do a very average job of temperature regulation, plus they spoil my views :)

Do any of these window insulating films actually work? I assume they work on being somewhat reflective? Any brands in particular better than others? Or is it a case of not even wasting my time?

Are there any alternatives to keep hold of that precious, expensive, heat?

Thanks!

You mean the films that are applied directly to the glass itself?

We have them at work, they do help a little with the sun, but only marginally and make little diff to temps imho
Certainly I notice no difference since fitting, the sun still blinds if its in line of sight and my office is still baking or freezing if the ac unit isnt on

Soldato
Films applied directly to the windows offer a little benefit, they will reduce solar gain more than keep the place warm. Look into 'Low E' films, we used the 3m version on our south facing bedrooms that were getting like a blast furnace and it helped. Ideally this should be done as part of the glazing spec as the Low E should ideally be applied to the inner surface of the outer pane of glass on double glazing, but not big cost to give it a try with the films. VERY hard to fit yourself (trust me on this... I messed it up twice before getting a pro in!)

To really reduce heat loss/gain you need to insulate in layers, same as when you are wrapping up to go out. Decent quality well fitted rollerblinds close to the window (ideally in channels to totally eliminate any drafts) then thick heavy curtains. The combination will really help reduce air movement and trap the heat in blazing sun (crack the window vents open so the heat can escape somewhat) and makes a big difference in the cold.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I imagined it was more to keep heat out than heat in.

I've already got thick curtains on the windows, no chance to add blinds sadly.

Looks like I'll put another jumper on :D

Thanks for the replies!!

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom