Windows 10 broken after system restore

Associate
I ran system restore to undo an app update. My PC said it failed. On boot I get a problem with startup and automatic repair couldn't fix it and get dumped into the recovery options menu. I've tried other restore points but they all fail even going back. I tried sfc from command prompt in the recovery menu but it didn't fix it.

Is there anything I can do to get it working again?

Associate
OP
Tbf I'm probably going to do that anyway even if I could get back in. I just want to check my desktop and downloads folder. Everything else is backed up in triplicate. I will see if I can navigate with command prompt and copy stuff to a USB. I don't think there is anything I need but I wouldn't mind one last look.

Soldato
What app update you attempted to undo?

Open Powershell and type in each command try to get system restore working again:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /online /Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If still not work then go into safe mode and run system restore which worked for many people.

Associate
OP
I reinstalled windows over my old copy which meant I could get my files. I then put a fresh copy on but after the 1809 update chrome stopped working, so I'm doing it again. I'll create a restore point after all updates which will hopefully work if chrome borks again. Annoyingly I ran sfc trying to fix chrome which found errors. Why would there be errors on a fresh install?

Back
Top Bottom