Windows 10 Fall Update not Start Menu wont work

Soldato
and performance is overall unresponsive (press Explorer and the windows doesn't come up for 10 seconds)

How can I fix this? Google suggested some things like PowerShell commands and Registry edits but they haven't worked. Please help.

DAS

DAS

Associate
I also have this problem. I sign out and back in again and it works, once it has given me a false error message about a USB device install requiring a reboot. I have seen all kinds of potential causes and solutions on google, but this seems the least invasive. Hopefully MS will find a solution, as it does seem very common.

Soldato
Having that problem on one machine at the moment, and after a fresh Win10 install, I've narrowed it down to the Fall Creators Update and the drivers for my Sound Blaster Omni not looking each other.

Boot up with the Sound Blaster connected - unresponsive start menu, taskbar and notification area and hanging with message on reboot about device driver install needing reboot. Boot up with it disconnected (no other changes) and everything's fine.

Previous versions of Windows 8.1 & 10 have been fine on this PC with the Omni. Doesn't affect my main PC with a Sound Blaster Z inside either.

Soldato
OP
Got it working. Had to create a new Admin account thogh CMD. Login as that Admin account and unstall the update. Everything is back to normal now, and wont be installing that updating again. I too have a Soundblaster Z soundcard so yes could be something to do with that.

Permabanned
I have a ZxR ands no issue yet, it cant have been the FU sure not a KB since?

I use Classic Shell to get old Start menu and also use the new one so that might change things.

DAS

DAS

Associate
I don't have a SoundBlaster but still have the problem. It didn't occur for the first time since the update today, only to reappear on the next reboot.

DAS

DAS

Associate
I gave up and, combined with other minor issues, I decided to revert to pre Fall updated Windows 10. The process was very painless and only took about 10 minutes (considerably quicker than the update). I now have a very smooth running machine again, though I may try the update again at some stage.

Back
Top Bottom