windows 10 hp switchable graphics

Associate
Has any one upgraded their laptop to windows 10 with switchable graphics.

i am currently running windows 7 as i had major issues with windows 8 upgrade.

dont want up update it if there are issues

Associate
My lenovo laptop has a Intel hd and Nvida graphics with a button to switch between them. I installed 10 and let it do all updates and the button just works. I didnt need to install any nvida or intel drivers manually. This was after doing a "Keep Nothing" so no default lenovo programs are installed to do it.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Soldato
My HP with Intel + AMD upgraded to 8.1 and became a mess with the GPU drivers. Eventually I decided to do a clean install and that fixed it. I may do the same again when I get around to upgrading it to 10.

Soldato
Currently the wifes HP DV6 6052EA is having a lot of issues with the graphics. It thinks the GPU is a 7400M, when its a 6490M. No drivers will install at the moment to resolve this as they fail installing, and HPs own drivers do not cover windows 10 at all.

Might have to go back to Win7.

Last edited:
Associate
My grandfathers old DV6 6c77 HP laptop had lot's of issues with the Intel GPU and AMD 7400m on Windows 8.1, even his new HP ENVY 17-k251na laptop with a Intel GPU and Geforce 850M had issues, they really didn't like to play together.

Could never get both to work together properly on either laptop. I upgraded both to 10 Pro and the drivers that 10 installed worked perfectly on both laptops. I can now use either GPU's at will. Windows 10 is fantastic, no issues with it at all.

Soldato
Just upgraded my laptop, both Intel HD4000 and AMD 7670M are instantly playing nicely together unlike the mess with was with 8 and 8.1, really happy with AMD not messing up with the drivers this time :p.

Soldato
My grandfathers old DV6 6c77 HP laptop had lot's of issues with the Intel GPU and AMD 7400m on Windows 8.1, even his new HP ENVY 17-k251na laptop with a Intel GPU and Geforce 850M had issues, they really didn't like to play together.

Could never get both to work together properly on either laptop. I upgraded both to 10 Pro and the drivers that 10 installed worked perfectly on both laptops. I can now use either GPU's at will. Windows 10 is fantastic, no issues with it at all.

The wifes laptop does not have the 7400M though, but the 6490M. Windows thinks it has the right driver but it is mucking up all the time. Games do not open, some web pages not working etc. I managed to get an old driver installed (somehow) but on restart it put the 'up to date' driver back on and mucked up again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Just to update, I am still having issues with this.

HP forum seems to be full of complaints about switchable graphics. Read a few that state that HP can fix the issue but will charge for the service due to many of the computers that require the fix being out of warrenty. A bit stupid of them if that is true.

What I have discovered is that if I set a program to use the AMD graphics, it refused to run or just crashes on boot. If I choose the Intel graphics it will open but just not work due to no power behind the intel GPU. AMD have no fix either it seems as they do not make the switchable driver. :(

Soldato
Bump on this.

It seems the main problem is fixed mode and dynamic mode. Windows 10 plays nicely with dynamic mode but laptops with fixed mode (where you manually pick which GPU to use) are the ones mainly with the problem. Oddly enough, it seems to be the same issue as you where the discrete AMD GPU crashes when the system tries to use it.

A BIOS update may be able to fix it, but with my experience of HP laptops, HP is rubbish at that.

My mum is using an old laptop of mine with fixed mode switchable graphics, glad I didn't upgrade that to 10. She wants a new laptop soon anyway :p. And apparantly there are no drivers for the 4200 IGP series which the laptop has.

Once more Intel Iris graphics become more affordable I may be tempted to upgrade, I don't really need that much GPU grunt any more and switchable graphics honestly is a mess. Skylake's IGP looks quite promising.

EDIT: Going to play around with this, switchable graphics seems to operate differently with 10...

Last edited:
Soldato
upgraded my laptop (intel hd4000 + 970m) to win10 and it's working fine.

Nvidia Optimus seems completely fine, it's AMD's older version of switchable graphics that seems to be a complete mess at the moment.

EDIT: So ran a few benchmarks mostly with settings focused on taxing the GPU (so no CPU bottleneck), seems switchable graphics is working fine on my laptop. I was worried at first since GPU-Z wasn't properly displaying the correct usage for each GPU, but the benchmark scores confirms everything is fine.

Last edited:
Associate
My switchable graphics on my alienware m17x r3 do not work :( the dell gpu and amd gpu both show up in device manager but laptop will not switch over to the amd driven hd6950 card, hopefully something will happen to resolve this

Associate
It looks like that laptop uses fixed mode for switchable graphics, which 10 oddly hates. Is there an option in BIOS to disable the Intel?

if this reply was for me, then no there is nothing in the bios i can turn on/off that will affect the display adaptors.
the only was i can turn off the dell hd3000 adaptor is in the properties tab of it. My bios is version a12

Soldato
if this reply was for me, then no there is nothing in the bios i can turn on/off that will affect the display adaptors.
the only was i can turn off the dell hd3000 adaptor is in the properties tab of it. My bios is version a12

Yup that reply was to you, forgot to quote :p.

Sadly there's not much you can do then...

I suppose you can rant on here and hope AMD will come up with a fix soon: https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1314?q=switch

Soldato
I put Win7 back on the laptop in the end and everything is running fine again. The GFXs are recognised correctly and switchable graphics works as expected.

The wife didnt really need Win10 straight away and probably will upgrade the laptop before going to Win10 in the future anyway.

Associate
Yup that reply was to you, forgot to quote :p.

Sadly there's not much you can do then...

I suppose you can rant on here and hope AMD will come up with a fix soon: https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1314?q=switch

well i am a little bit wiser tonight. i delved in my bios and i have 2 options under the graphics they are SG and PEG now i am guessing that these could stand for:-
sg - system graphics (dell hd3000)
peg - pci express graphics (peg)

and thats all this a guess so anyway i yanked out my drive a put in an old drive that has win10 on it under the option SG i have a fixed display ( not switchable) and i am using the dell system graphics. if i switch to PEG and reboot the laptop i am using my amd 6970 card so in away i can live with that under win10, i don't recall ever manually switching my graphics anyway

happy days :)

Back
Top Bottom