Windows 10 key question.

Soldato
Hi.

I have bought a Zoostorm PC 2nd hand from a collegue at work. It came only with a mechanical hard drive which obviously had windows 10 installed on it. I want to install an SSD and make this my main windows hard drive.

I have read that since Windows 8 the key/COA is now stored in the BIOS. So if I proceed to install Windows 10 on my SSD if will read the BIOS and allow this installation.

Is this correct?

Man of Honour
It's generated by the motherboard hardware ID and possibly a couple other things, but generally yes. You will probably want to sign into your own Microsoft account on it first so Windows assigns the product license to your Microsoft account, so when you sign back in on the new install, Windows can see that it's all legit and activate accordingly.

But a better (less faff) option would be to clone the HDD to SSD, boot up the SSD and simply run Windows 10's reset function which will clean install the OS automatically and retain activation in the process. Just sign into your Microsoft account first.

Note: I don't know how this will work if your colleague has already assigned the license to their own Microsoft account, Windows may say that the key is already in use on another account.

Soldato
OP
Ah ok.

I don't think I have a windows account because I have only used windows 7 recently. The guy I bought it off it was his sons PC so I'm not sure he linked it to his account either.

I was hoping to just nuke the original hd from orbit because I really don't know what could be stored on there with it being a 14 year old kids - there could be viruses or malware potentially.

I have an ssd arriving today so it won't work trying to install windows 10 on it?

Man of Honour
In that context I'd Just go ahead and install the sad and install windows fresh.

Proceed with activation onlin and see if it sorted itself out. If no, then use phone activation which is usually the fallback mode that always works.

Soldato
OP
OK thanks.

At the moment I haven't got internet because the wifi card it came with is missing its antenna. Can I activate windows 10 at a later date after installation?

Back
Top Bottom