Windows 10 on Dell M1330

Soldato
I an old M1330, its in mint condition. Running Windows 10. But getting a lot of blue screens. I'm guessing its a driver issue. I was wondering does anyone else have one and what drivers they are using.

I've only installed the Intel Chipset and onBoard Intel GFX driver. Everything else I just let Win10 handle the driver.

Any ideas?

Soldato
Does this not have the gt 8600m ? Is it not an xps? I was looking at one on gum for £40 and it's got C2D and a gt 8600m.

Sometimes you can get legacy drivers, can't say I've had too much bother on old tech, think FX 5500 and 9200gs i had to use vista drivers with win 7, but Intel chipsets usually okay. Windows 10 does push old hardware though, wouldn't say it was light like win 7.

Soldato
OP
Most of the laptops of this era with the Nvidia cards all fail. Though you can fix them with heat trick a few times. My Dell 9400 with a 7900 I've done 4 times. Nvidia seem to have driver support a lot longer than other manufacturers.

This particular m1330 has Intel graphics. Lovely machine. Great screen, keyboard etc. I've upgraded the wifi and the CPU and it has a SSD.

They changed the driver system from Windows 7 to 10. They abandoned a lot of older hardware. I'll probably have to go back to Windows 7 on it. I'm running win10 32 bit maybe I should try 64 bit before I give up on Windows 10.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Was going to say it was the Nvidia chip, but you mention this one has Intel graphics.

Faulty RAM? Have you got any other RAM that's compatible? Otherwise it's probably just faulty hardware. I've installed Win 10 on my one (Nvidia chip) and it works fine.

Associate
I have two M1330's running Vista. One has just the built-in Intel graphics (sounds like what you have) and the other has the NVIDIA graphics.

I have just upgraded the Intel graphics one to Windows 10 from Vista. It seems to run well to me. I think the main improvement to laptops in recent years has been in power consumption rather than raw power, and the current 6-cell third party battery seems to only give me 1-1.5 hours. This M1330 has a 2.5GHz dual core cpu and was originally shipped with a 64GB SSD (a rather slow old Samsung model).

I used all Windows 10 drivers (so far) apart from installing a Ricoh memory stick controller driver as although the SDCARD was working, Sony Memory Sticks were not automatically working. I did this by getting http://ftp.dell.com/chipset/Ricoh_R5C833_A00_R240788.exe and browsing to it from Device Manager and inviting it just to install drivers for the Memory Stick controller that was shown as not working.

I have not tested the DVD/CD drive. The drivers seem OK but the drive stopped working several years ago... I now disabled it to save power.

For the crashes you are experiencing - I strongly suspect the Intel 4695AGN wireless card that you probably have. This is no longer supported.
It seems to have two problems:
1. Fails to wake from sleep or hibernation - remedy is to uncheck the permission to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in Device Manager
2. BSOD with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (Netwlv64.sys). The reported fix to this is to go to Advanced in Device Manager and disable 802.11n mode.
(So far no crashes since I did this)

What I have just done is replace that WiFi card with an Intel Dual-Band Wireless AC 3160
My intention was to get faster and more reliable Internet, more power efficiency, and the latest Bluetooth standards.
This is a half-size card so needs a support bracket (available for a couple of dollars). Also one of the aerial leads didn't quite reach the new shorter card... but this seems to have been easily avoided by putting the WLAN card in the WWAN card slot (I guess they are basically both similar PCIe interfaces). I have only just started testing this but it looks troublefree so far. The built-in Dell Bluetooth seems to get automatically disabled.

Windows 10 seems to support the Fingerprint reader out of the box for Windows logon - and it seems to be working much better than it used to under Vista.
[I did a clean install of Windows 10 Home using a downloaded ISO file via USB. I found I didn't need to Activate Windows (so far) though after 12 hours or so Windows disabled personalisations... otherwise it is working well. It looks like I will activate it shortly... although it seems expensive it does mean it isn't locked to this particular machine and I can move it to one of my Windows 7 machines later]

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You could be right. I had previously replaced the original wifi card with a Intel 4965AGN to get 802.11n.

I tried newer cards but they either didn't fit, or were very buggy. I might try get one of those you suggested. Might stick one in my other old Dell a 9400.

I might disable it and try running with a USB WiFi stick I have somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Lest my earlier comment encourage anyone to try the Intel Dual-Band Wireless AC 3160 card in an M1330... I have encountered some issues, which I will document here:

Firstly - I confess to installing the card before the mounting bracket arrived... so it is just held into place by the contacts and some insulating plastic I put between the card and the cover plate. This means the card may not be properly grounded... though I don't actually think that is the cause of the issues.

Also, remember that I put the card in the WWAN slot instead of WLAN slot so that I could easily connected the antenna. This could also contribute to the issues.

First up - a head's up - when you remove the original WiFi card and install the new card you will need to search Windows 10 online for the drivers... which of course you cannot do using WiFi. For me that was no issue as I also have Ethernet available.

The WiFi seemed to be working fairly well except that it never seemed to auto-join any network, but looking at the Event Viewer I saw that it was frequently being reset:
Application events "NETwNb64 5002", "NETwNb64 5005", "NDIS 10400" = "The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets.
Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset.
This network interface has reset 111 time(s) since it was last initialized."

I then chose to change from the default Windows 10 drivers to the latest Intel ProSet drivers as suggested by the Intel Update Utility.
Unfortunately, installing these seemed to have only one positive effect - I noticed that the network auto-joined to a known access point.
On the other hand, various event viewer errors continued to appear and I had a number of BSODs - again DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (Netwbw02.sys) which is almost identical to the BSODs the original Intel card was throwing when 802.11n mode was enabled.

A few things I can think of to try and solve these:
Look on the Dell site for any Dell customized version driver for this Intel card (of course it won't be intended for the M1330)
Perhaps try back in the WLAN slot instead of WWAN... if I can get the aerial to reach.
Try to install Intel Chipset drivers - the Intel Update Utility suggests an update over the default Windows 10 drivers but it is failing to install.

In the meantime I rolled back the wireless driver to Windows 10 defaults.

Some other observations of interaction between the WiFi card change and the M1330:
WiFi switch still toggled WiFi status (despite being in a different PCIe slot) but no longer seemed to turn off Bluetooth.
WiFi LED status was not working - maybe would if I moved card back to WLAN PCIe slot
Old Dell Bluetooth module needed to be disabled in Device Manager (if not BIOS or physically removed). Otherwise sometimes after turning off WiFi, then when re-enabling it the new Intel WiFi card would not be able to start.
WiFi Catcher switch probably doesn't work - not that that was a feature I ever used anyway... it is just an indication of the presence of WiFi networks to help you decide whether it is worth turning the laptop on.

Associate
At the risk of being one-hand clapping... I will post my experiences here as they may be of use to other people who (like me) find this thread when trying to decide whether to move a M1330 to Windows 10. I have two M1330's. One with NVIDIA graphics and a T7500 CPU, the other with the Intel graphics and T9300 cpu.
I have used the Intel graphics machine now for several weeks running Windows 10. Mainly for email and web browsing. I briefly tested Windows 10 on the NVIDIA graphics model by swapping hard disks and it seemed to be working just as well as the Intel Graphics machine (better in one respect).

Why not update a Dell XPS M1330 to Windows 10?
  • The battery life is not comparable to more modern laptops (I estimate 2 hours 40 mins on a new 6-cell battery.. mine is at 25% original capacity so gives me about 43 mins - Intel Graphics variant)
  • Power to weight ratio is not as good as modern laptops
  • A Windows 10 license is fairly expensive
  • Although most devices/drivers will work ok you are on your own for any problems that may emerge
  • The wireless card may need replacing
  • Modern laptops support SATA 3 and DDR3 memory while the M1330 is SATA 2 and DDR2
  • Display is inferior to modern laptops: the LED display is probably not as bright, the resolution is likely inferior, scrolling may not be as smooth.
  • The LED indicator lights are probably rather dim
  • The built-in webcam is not supported for facial recognition login by Windows 10
Why upgrade a Dell XPS M1330 to Windows 10?

• Vista is no longer supported/updated
  • You may have some old devices which need the Firewire (i1394 port), VGA port, DVD drive (if still working) etc.
  • The retail Windows 10 license can later be moved to another machine unlike the licenses provided with new machines (e.g. maybe you have another machine currently running Windows 7 but when extended support for 7 ends in Jan 2020 you may want to retire the M1330 and upgrade the Windows 7 machine to 10)
  • Windows 10 is lighter and faster than Vista. The 64 bit version can run with 2GB RAM, runs well and uses all 4GB of RAM that you may have. If you happen to have 8GB of RAM (2x4GB DDR2) and you have the most recent BIOS from Dell then it can use all of that.
  • If you have a SSD I believe you will get TRIM support from Windows 10 (that Vista lacked)
  • Windows 10 uses under 40GB of disk space even with hibernation enabled and several apps installed while old installations of Vista are likely to be heavily bloated by updates.
Advice

Do a clean Install of Windows 10 64 bit - I did from USB memory stick to a spare SSD
To boot from USB you may need Floppy Disk enabled as a boot device in BIOS as well as USB boot.
Default Windows 10 drivers support almost all of the M1330 hardware
To get Sony Memory sticks to be recognized in the card reader (Ricoh driver)
  1. Downloaded the Dell http://ftp.dell.com/chipset/Ricoh_R5C833_A00_R240788.exe
    (This is probably not the latest release but online comments indicated someone had that working and it was the one another site suggested)
  2. Executed it… it extracts to C:\dell\drivers\R240788\
  3. Used Device Manager to browse to that folder manually and install drivers
    (I did this to try and avoid supplanting the SDCard drivers that were installed by Windows 10 and were working)
The biggest issue is likely to be the wireless card. For an Intel WiFi card, go to Device Manager and in the properties, disable the ability of the system to disable power to the WiFi, and change setting - Advanced - Wireless Mode: from 6. 802.11a/b/g to 4. 802.11b/g

If it is still giving problems you can replace it with a different WiFi card. Avoid Intel cards as they seem to be problematic… I suspect they are too closely integrated with the Intel chip sets. I tried the original Intel 4965AGN card, and then an Intel Dual Band AC 3160 card (which seemed to cause BSODs).

I am currently running with the Bigfoot Killer-N 1102 card I borrowed from an Alienware M14X and it works very well. Although that card is no longer sold, the drivers are up to date (it is based on a Qualcomm/Atheros chip and I guess most cards with that hardware would be ok)

[Most new WiFi cards are half height Mini PCIe. Ideally you then buy a cheap metal plate to extend them to full height so you can screw them in place. To get one aerial to reach you probably have to get a tiny extender cable, or put the WiFi card in the WWAN PCIe slot - which has the side effect of stopping the WiFi LED on the keyboard from working. No big loss when you have an onscreen indicator in the system tray. I am currently using a 1.5" UMCC extension cable to extend the black cable to the WLAN slot and it seems to be working very well – perhaps even better signal than without the extension, though I paid rather a lot of (International) postage on the cable]

Features that I suggest forgetting about
  • Dell Media Direct (I never used it anyway, Windows 10 boots fast anyway, I lost the special partition anyway when I upgraded the hard disk some time ago). The "Home" button seems to boot Windows 10 just the same as the power button does (after showing a splash screen for Dell Media Direct which presumably comes from BIOS)
  • Dell Recovery Partition - if you need to reinstall Windows 10 you would just go back to a USB stick
  • WiFi Catcher (you can disable it in BIOS…. Very last item of the menus). Again I wasn't using it and I don't think it worked under Windows 10
  • DVD/CD drive… failed long ago on the two machines I have. Yours may be working… but if not… well a replacement laptop probably doesn't have one anyway.
  • Fingerprint protected vault - The Fingerprint reader works well in Windows 10 for Windows logon…. Better than it did under Vista (anyone having trouble with that era of fingerprint reader.. I suggest breathing on your finger to moisten it, avoid too liberal application of greasy hand-cream, and don’t expect it to work if you just stepped out of the bath). I haven't tried installing the browser plugin to remember passwords as I use a different solution. I haven't tried the password protected Vault that the Dell originally had. Might work, might not.
  • Motion detection on camera - this was removed from Dell Webcam software in Windows 7 and on. A pity as I caught a thief with that. Dell Webcam Central does work in Windows 10 (though no motion detection).
  • Dell Quickset - I didn't bother trying to install it. I haven't missed it.
  • Touchpad - Windows 10 supports normal use but not the scroll regions at the edge and I think not any multi-touch or gesture facility that might or might not have previously existed… again something I wasn't using.
  • Dell Dock - seems to only be supported for Vista.
Known issues
I could not compute the Windows Experience score on the M1330 with Intel Graphics and T9300 cpu. Winsat crashes when it tried to play back one of the WMV files that the test plays.

The problematic video is C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\Clip_1080_5sec_VC1_15mbps.wmv which winsat tries to play as part of the process of computing the WEI score. This takes part in the "graphics formal" part of the test.

Faulting application name: Video.UI.exe, version: 10.17022.1031.0, time stamp: 0x58d327b6
Faulting module name: igdumd64.dll, version: 8.14.10.2697, time stamp: 0x4f6bfd42
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000b221d
Faulting process ID: 0xd0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2bd3081386c01
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.ZuneVideo_10.17022.10311.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Video.UI.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igdumd64.dll
Report ID: 8ebb747c-7f4b-41c3-bcac-f313166e5c28
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.ZuneVideo_10.17022.10311.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: Microsoft.ZuneVideo​

You can check if the score was computed with:

Windows-R shell:games

You can try and compute for score manually from an Administrator CMD window:
> winsat formal​
The Winsat log files are in C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\

The failure I saw was logged as follows
Application Error 1000
"Faulting application name: winsat.exe, version: 10.0.14393.0
Faulting module name: igdumd64.dll, version: 8.14.10.2697"​

I have not discovered any resulting problems in use. Google Earth works fine (for example). I haven't tried gaming.

The M1330 with NVIDIA graphics ran Winsat successfully and gave a WEI score of 4.3

It is possible firmware update(s) would solve the wireless and winsat issues. I didn't try that hard to find one. I tried the Intel Update Utility and it suggested a chipset driver which didn't actually succeed in installing. I tried a couple of wireless drivers for the Intel wireless without resolving issues.

I didn't exercise the Bluetooth very much... I think I transmitted a couple of images from my phone to the M1330 – that's all. So I can't make any great claims for how well it works – though it was looking good in Device Manager.

The touch sensitive strip above the keyboard mostly works -
In the Groove Music player (playing MP3): Eject, Back, pause/play, and the speaker controls work. The Stop and skip forward don't seem to)
In Windows Media player (playing MP4): Eject, Stop, Pause/Play are working but not skip forward or back

Special note if you have the version of M1330 with NVIDIA graphics card
This configuration had a known problem with the solder on the NVIDIA chip cracking leading to graphics failure. I had the motherboard replaced twice under warranty. After the second replacement I had no more problems…. So I presume the later versions of the motherboard solved this issue.

If you are new to Windows 10… one hint
Download the OneNote 2016 Desktop version as the built-in OneNote App is annoying. Does not support screen grabs with Shift-Windows-S, Does not support entry of unicode characters using Alt… key sequences. Does not let you access the notebook when you do not have an internet connection!

Soldato
OP
Have to say I like the M1330 because it has a great screen, mine is still bright, and very clear. 1280x800 is the only draw back.
I also like it because it has a great keyboard and touch pad. Mine has a T9300, 2GB and a SSD, Intel GFX and it handles all office and web stuff fine. I've no problems with Video.

Mine was crashing on win10 but is rock solid on Win8. I've a intel AC card in it. It just doesn't like Win10.
Its heavy, mine has the 9 cell battery and its lasts about 2~3 hrs. But as a couch laptop I really like it. Much better than new cheap budget laptop.

Soldato
Can't help with your problem but I had a m1530 for and it was a lovely lovely machine, build quality felt fantastic and I thought the keyboard was excellent. Shame it eventually succumbed to the graphics chip failing, got bored of warming it all up with a hairdryer to get it to boot so had to scrap it.

Associate
One other tip for running Windows 10 on an M1330 (which I haven't tested yet)
By default, virtualisation seems to be off in the M1330 BIOS.
If you examine the boot log for Windows 10 you see a Info message:

Kernel-Boot 153
Virtualization-based security (policies: 0) is disabled.

Which lead me to an article saying that Windows 10 uses virtualisation for improved security (if it can).
http://www.informationweek.com/soft...tualization-for-extra-security/a/d-id/1321415
Therefore I am thinking I should enable virtualisation in the BIOS - like I said... I haven't tried it yet.

Associate
OK - tried it now. It looks like turning on virtualisation in the M1330 BIOS isn't enough to benefit from Windows 10 virtualization-based security. I believe you need a machine with UEFI and ideally, a TPM:
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...evice-guard-and-credential-guard-demystified/

MSINFO32 shows these properties in the system summary
Hyper V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions =Yes
Hyper V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions = No
Hyper V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware = Yes
Hyper V - Data Execution Protection = Yes

and the boot message
Kernel-Boot 153
Virtualization-based security (policies: 0) is disabled.
is unchanged.
So ignore this. No need to turn on virtualisation in the BIOS

And on a separate matter - about why I was having trouble getting the new Intel WiFi card to work (and why it may now be damaged)... I was surprised to read this from Intel
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005846.html
.. so I continue to use the machine with the KillerOS WiFi from a M14X

Associate
I'm so glad I found this thread that I signed up just so I could thank you all and post some helpful information of my own.

Firstly, I have the NVidia 8400GS version, replaced motherboard in 2010 after known failure, no issues since.
All other components original as shipped:
Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2GHz.
4 GB PC-5300.
Broadcom 802.11a/b/g/Draft N card.
Broadcom BT2.0
Original 200 (186 useable) GB HDD partitioned 150/36.
DVD/RW *works*
Toshiba "Slim & Light" LED backlit screen.
ADDED: USB 3.0 ExpressCard

I have Win7 x64 installed on the 150GB partition running as my daily system.
I created the 36GB partition for testing purposes, originally for Win8 Pro. I wasn't a fan, so it rarely got used.
My gf decided she wanted to buy a new laptop so in order to be helpful to her, I decided to test out Win10 in advance. So far, I don't mind it.

I did the complete RESET on Win8 and ran the Win10 Pro x64 Upgrade Utility for the free Upgrade (was happy to learn it's still available for free!).
Butter smooth. When all said and done, everything worked in at least a basic function.
No BSOD's... No WiFi card issues.
Connecting at 130-150 Mbps, no config changes needed. On that note, I am now planning to upgrade to a Broadcom based 802.11ac minicard (with BT4.0).

For Chipset Drivers (not completely necessary but I like DM to show proper lables) I downloaded the INF Update Utility v9.2.0.1030 zip file available here...
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/1145/Intel-Chipset-Software-Installation-Utility
Installed flawlessly.

Had to install Ricoh drivers as above to gain full functionality of SD slot.

TouchPad... I've always used and loved it's scrolling (chiral scrolling) abilities, so I HAD to get this working or NO Deal on Win10 for me.
Success!
After much trial and error and reviewing of .inf/.ini/.xml files, I finally found a Synaptic driver set that supports full functionality in Win10.
I downloaded the "Driver Version: 18.1.30.7" 193MB (2nd download listed) from here...
http://www.driverscape.com/download/synaptics-ps-2-port-compatible-touchpad
After installing and before restarting, you must go to DM and update the "PS/2 Port Compatible Mouse" driver manually by navigating it to the synpd.inf located in the DriverStore. Then restart. DM will now show Synaptic device in place and Properties console has the Synaptic settings Tab.
*If anyone would like further detail on this and how to get scroll working properly in ALL windows, just reply and I'll write a separate post. I also created a modifed version of the above ZIP file (now 84Mb) to get rid of the unnecessary SMB driver faf and x86 drivers as well as allow an uninstall listing in Add/Remove Programs. Willing to share if requested.

That's all I have to contribute for now. Thanks again to all above for their part in reviving these once pretty awesome laptops!
Cheers!

*Planned upgrades/replacements in order of necessity>desire>because "why not":
  • New screeen (cracked the LCD on left side...Yay HDMI!)
  • New Battery (original 9cell lasts all of 10mins)
  • 500GB SSD (self explanatory)
  • Broadcom based 802.11ac WiFi card
  • 8GB RAM (didn't know this was possible until this thread)
  • Core 2 Duo T9500 @ 2.6 GHz (considered Extreme x9000 but T9500 is a lil cheaper, near equal performance and uses less power)

Associate
There is a disadvantage in increasing the RAM on these machines... it can lead sometimes to a slow (4+ minutes) boot.
The BIOS is normally configured to do a FastBoot but if the BIOS thinks the machine did not shut down properly it will do a slow boot... with more hardware tests. These tests must include RAM tests because the more RAM you have, the longer it takes. With 8GB of RAM it is taking about 4 minutes for the BIOS scroll bar to reach the end before it continues to boot (first asking for system password if it is set).

Unfortunately, sometimes the machine thinks it didn't shut down properly and so I experience this slow boot.
Now your SSD probably tells you to turn off hibernation to reduce wear to the SSD (and the more memory you have then presumably the larger the hibernate file and the greater the wear). So you might have your laptop go to Standby/Sleep when shutting it down. However, with the old battery, this will exhaust the battery fairly quickly (maybe after a couple of hours) unless you leave it plugged into mains power. Even with a good battery this is liable to drain the battery after a couple of days and that is not at all good for battery health.
An alternative is to configure the system to Hibernate when you shut the lid and not worry about SSD wear. This solves the battery drain problem but slows shutdown and startup a bit, and then you might worry about SSD wear.
So I have Windows set to use Hybrid sleep. At first it will go to Standby, but then after a few hours, if not re-awakened, the laptop should transition to Hibernate. I did previously solve a problem where this was not working because the M1330 was requesting the (I think) hard disk password to do the transition and as the machine was unattended (I removed the hard disk password), it would be stuck in a loop trying to transition to Hibernate. Nevertheless, sometimes (or maybe always?) this transition leads the machine to think it did not shut down gracefully and so I get the slow boot.

So in short... consider leaving machine on mains power, or go straight to Hibernate, or full shut down. If you want to use Hybrid sleep then be aware that more memory may slow some of your boots.

Back
Top Bottom