Windows 10 PC turning itself on

Associate
My main PC has just started turning itself on at random. The PC isn't new and hasn't done this before. Is there anything in recent Windows updates that could have caused this and how do I make it stop?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Associate
Mine's been doing it since I first installed Windows 10. I've now done a load of tweaking to the power, update options etc. so it doesn't do it anymore. Google is your friend.

Associate
OP
Shutting down. I ran that command but it didn't list anything. Turned itself on twice last night, waiting with interest to see if it'll be on again when I get home from work tonight.

Man of Honour
Depending on how "shutdown" it is the Windows maintenance tasks (usually triggered for 2am) can wake a PC up or even power it on in some cases - apparently some of the recent updates have made it more aggressive about completing some of the tasks as "critical" when before they'd pause until the next time the PC was on and idle.

Associate
I am having this problem also. Pretty much every other night the PC will resume from sleep, usually around 0200-0400. I have done everything, spent hrs searching, but little luck.

One of the fixes in the past for W10 was to go to task scheduler - Microsoft - Windows - Update Orchestrator , and then disable the 'reboot' option. This fixed the problem for me for a few weeks, but after Creator update the option was re enabled. Now when you try to disable it states that I no longer have the permission!

It turn out the Creator update has really forced this wake problem upon us.

Anyone have any further luck?

Man of Honour
2-4am is the window for the maintenance tasks I mentioned above - though from a quick look at the guides after the creator's update it seems it has got a lot more tricky to take control of it due to things like the permissions you mentioned above.

Soldato
There is no control panel in windows 10 though

on another note, my and my daughters pc ( windows 10 and both intell ) are getting BSOD the last few days :(

There is they've hidden it in favor of the new looking UI one, type control into your start menu and it'll find it or open file explorer and click the arrow next to quick access than select control panel.

Back
Top Bottom