Windows 10 question

Associate
A colleague of mine has asked me to look at his laptop which has an issue, I'm not particularly familiar with Windows 10 (I went Mac when Windows 8 came out), but I said I'd have a look.

Fault is this, it takes forever and a day to boot (like 30 minutes) and when it does the cursor is a blue circle spinning constantly, can't get into anything.

I understand booting in safe model is windows 10 is different (it's no longer a case of holding down f8 on boot) and I can't even get to that point in windows, it's unusable as it stands at the moment.

Any pointers one getting round it? I presume there's nothing in the Bios that can force a safe mode reboot?

Shall I bow out graciously? (don't really want to, to be fair!)

Thanks

Associate
OP
Thanks, I can't do that within Windows though, as the laptop literally is doing nothing, desktop screen is showing with blue spinning cursor that will not stop or go away.

Associate
OP
Looks like his hard drive is cattletrucked. After a couple of hours I dug out my Window 7 Pro install disc that I had in a box in the loft (which I'd forgotten I had), machine locks up about 5 minutes into install. Tried half a dozen times and same every time.

Gze

Gze

Associate
What laptop is it? Most likely the hard drive is near to the end of it's life.

Try booting off a live usb and testing the hard drive.

Soldato
As above:

1: Grab a USB stick, preferably over 1gb.
2: Download LinuxLive USB
3: Download an ISO of Mint Linux
4: Use Linux Live USB to create a bootable of the ISO image you downloaded in point 3
5: Plug stick into laptop and set the laptop to boot from USB first
6: Once booted from the USB stick run a test on the HDD

Associate
OP
Some Asus thing, cost about £500.00, in August last year so it's still under warranty, he got from the rainforest I believe, just going to tell him to send it back.

If it were out of warranty I'd crack on it with it for him.....but no point really.

Back
Top Bottom