Windows 10 wont start...

Soldato
Aaaah sh.....

As of this morning, Windows 10 wont start. And what a pain it is.

- POST screen.
- Windows Logo with spinner.
- Then Black screen.

Trying to get into safe mode, but there is no safe mode now? I get the boot options, but these are regular boot, not safe mode.

Guess I'm gonna have to re-install, from a USB :/

My GPU died about a week ago, then this... Wonderful!

Man of Honour
When you get the black screen does alt-control-delete work to get the task manager? I had this shortly after the fall update and was able to get the recovery options via holding down shift when rebooting and fix it that way.

You can try tripping the power or holding down power button to restart Windows 10 mid booting 3 times in theory to force it to safe mode on the 4th but it doesn't work reliably.

That they've removed the ability to just hold down F8 for safe mode is utterly ridiculous but then the OS design seems to be lead by muppets these days.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Tried every trick in the book and on the Internet. Wouldn't even do a recover, or repair :)

Yeah, kinda suck they're taking power away from the user. But hey, totally in keeping with Microsoft philosophy. Can't even tell you what's wrong, doesn't even log the boot process (or I couldn't find it).

Re-installed the OS, starting from clean. Now waiting for my EVGA replacement, downloading a ton of stuff at less than 1 MB/s, and at the end of the week, I should be back to where I was a week ago :)

First world problems...

Associate
This EXACT same thing happened to me today. I was cleaning my PC, all very standard, I went to turn it back on and no signal. Tried an old 7870 card and that got to the windows logo but then... black screen.

Figured I'd not plugged the power into my 970 firmly enough. Tried again and it came on but with the same result.

In the end the only way I could get windows to launch was if I went into BIOS and exited out without changing anything on every boot! Eventually gave up, reset the BIOS with the CMOS bat and reOC'd my CPU.

Absolutely no idea what caused it to happen though!

Man of Honour
Similar happening to me today - start up black screen after logging in, start up again and it sits for 2 hours at "Working on Updates, 100% Complete, Don't turn off your computer". Several restarts later after logging in it just goes back to the login screen again until finally it started working. This fall update seems to be a bit of a shambles on some systems.

Back
Top Bottom