Windows 7 32bit RAM

Associate
Hi all,

Silly question but i am running windows 7 32bit and i have 8gb of ram in my laptop...

Is my system even utilising the other 4gb of RAM or should i re-format and install 64bit?

If i go to 64bit would i experience problems, i use the machine for gaming, MS office, lighting calculation software...

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Install 64bit. You might want to check hardware compatibility beforehand. The majority of software will run without a hitch.

Soldato
As above, 32-bit can't use beyond 4GB.

If a fairly new machine/hardware you shouldn't have any issues getting x64 drivers besides Windows 7 is more versatile especially in running older or non 64-bit software

Soldato
Unfortunaely, no.

If you want to upgrade to 64 bit then you need to do a clean install - so you will need to backup everything important before re-installing.

As for how to re-install, do you have a retail or OEM 64bit install disk? If not you could ask the laptop maker for one.

Associate
Unfortunaely, no.

If you want to upgrade to 64 bit then you need to do a clean install - so you will need to backup everything important before re-installing.

As for how to re-install, do you have a retail or OEM 64bit install disk? If not you could ask the laptop maker for one.

So back up all my music, photos, setups files, films, etc...

It didnt come with an install disc, it was pre-installed and asked me to create a disk when i started the computer up known as a recovery disc...

Is there anyway you can download a copy of windows 7 64bit by qouting your licence number?

Associate
i am bit confused with the link, it says i should use this program if i have an OEM installed software?

I have never reformatted a machine before without a disc...

usually i press F# then just re-format... i presume with a exe.file i just run the file and it begins the re-format/64bit install?

Soldato
I'm not sure about the .exe files, but both of those pages have links to .iso files. These files can be downloaded and burnt onto a DVD or USB stick, and then used like a normal windows disk.

Associate
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER THEN!

usb iso it is and back up everything on to external drive and hopefully i should see a difference in my laptop...

With respect to drivers, should windows 7 take care most of the essentials?

Soldato
The speed should be around the same, maybe a bit quicker for the USB if you have a fast stick. The main advantage is probably that you can format the USB stick after you are done, while with write-once DVD you can't (and rewritable DVDs are much slower).

Just make sure you set the boot device priority to the USB stick from within the BIOS.

As for drivers, the laptop manufacturer should provide drivers on their website that you can download. Probably best to download these before you do the re-install.

Associate
The speed should be around the same, maybe a bit quicker for the USB if you have a fast stick. The main advantage is probably that you can format the USB stick after you are done, while with write-once DVD you can't (and rewritable DVDs are much slower).

Just make sure you set the boot device priority to the USB stick from within the BIOS.

As for drivers, the laptop manufacturer should provide drivers on their website that you can download. Probably best to download these before you do the re-install.

I recall that my laptop had an automatic driver updater, the ASUS laptop appeared to have so many drivers and i was a bit confused which ones i needed...

can you cause harm by installing a driver for something you dont have?

Top Bottom