Windows 7 Impressions

Soldato
If you're happy with XP we get it, this isn't the thread for you. There's hundreds of other threads you can go and ruin.

This thread is for your impressions of Windows 7. First use and after you've given the new features a chance, which everyone should do. No point trying a beta if you're just going to remove everything and make it like XP. :) And also to list problems/fixes for programs.

My first impressions are very positive, which isn't a surprise because I was a big fan of Vista. Starting to really like the new taskbar and being able to switch to different tabs without opening IE first. I hope Firefox/Chrome/Opera make sure of the feature soon enough.

Only problem I've had problems with so far is Sizer, which installs with admin rights, but doesn't resize programs. :(

Associate
I'm very happy with XP but I'm desperatly excited by windows 7.
I never really got the chance to use XP becuase of my crappy old PC, but soon that will change.
From what I've seen, Windows 7 looks like it could be their best OS to date.

Permabanned
So far it's been mostly good. OS seems snappy and hearing very little hard drive crunching unlike Vista. I'm still trying to get the damn thing to install the 8.12 ati drivers though, just hangs no matter whether its the beta, vista compat mode or not.

Soldato
So far it's been mostly good. OS seems snappy and hearing very little hard drive crunching unlike Vista. I'm still trying to get the damn thing to install the 8.12 ati drivers though, just hangs no matter whether its the beta, vista compat mode or not.

Weird works fine for me with both the vista drivers and the betas

Permabanned
Hmm hadnt tried disabling driver signing, it's been so long since i've had to do that on vista it never even crossed my mind. I'll try it now. Yeah i tried installing it via the Ati folder it extracts to rather than the downloaded installer.

Edit - nope, that didn't work either.

Soldato

ati drivers installed no problems for me using the 64bit version

My first impressions are that I will deffo upgrade. Perhaps vista is as snappy (i'm still running xp 32bit but playing war last night and it loads faster and is more responsive. installed firefox3 no probs.

Only probs I had was no lan via ms drivers so had to have the mobo drivers ready.

Associate
Do we know if we install the beta, and when the final retail comes out we can just use the retail version to "upgrade" -- or "finalize" the beta install we have? Or would it have to be a clean install?

If it's the latter, could Acronis' True Image or similar programs facilitate the migration from beta to retail?

Associate
One of the chaps at work highlighted the change in Kernel size - absolutely amazed :o

I shall grab this later and report back impressions.

Associate
Do we know if we install the beta, and when the final retail comes out we can just use the retail version to "upgrade" -- or "finalize" the beta install we have? Or would it have to be a clean install?

If it's the latter, could Acronis' True Image or similar programs facilitate the migration from beta to retail?

According to the Windows 7 help page posted on the Technet site yesterday the beta version will expire on August 1, 2009 and there will not be an upgrade path from the beta to final (retail) version.

Soldato
According to the Windows 7 help page posted on the Technet site yesterday the beta version will expire on August 1, 2009 and there will not be an upgrade path from the beta to final (retail) version.
Which will be fixable if you wish to.

Back
Top Bottom