windows 7 slowing my network

Associate
I have a 50 MB virgin connection and im having problems with it dropping out on wireless and running slow at certain times when downloading....there is no pattern to these speeds and times apart from after midnight when it runs like a train (50 MB all night) I have had 6 visits from virgin engineers over the past year that its been slow and its never been sorted yet....what is interesting is that on Sunday the main engineer for my area came round and when he done his speed test which he set to 5 tests in a row every second test came back at 28-33 MB.... so it ran 49.x MB then 29.x MB then back to 49.x MB then 31 MB and so on, he said there was something not right but then said he was going to try it on his laptop which has xp on it, same cable and same test on xp it was bending the needle each time 49.x MB...
im shocked to think that windows 7 is screwing up my network but it appears this is the case, I have since done a fresh install of w7 and after I put in the hardware drivers for the mobo chipset etc. I ran the speed-test again so that I knew no programs were causing any conflicts but same again high then low...
is anybody else having these issues? or does anyone have a fix for this?

Associate
I very much doubt that it has anything to do with Windows 7. The only appreciable difference between Win7 and XP in terms of how they handle internet traffic is that Win7 employs Nagel's algorithm, which if anything should be helping.

You mention wireless? If you're connecting to your broadband router via wireless then that's the 1st place to look. This would explain why the engineer, with a wired connection, was getting more consistent results. It would also go some way to explain why everything is good after midnight, as that is when most people go to bed and turn everything off. Which in turn reduces EM interference with your wireless signal.

Associate
OP
I very much doubt that it has anything to do with Windows 7. The only appreciable difference between Win7 and XP in terms of how they handle internet traffic is that Win7 employs Nagel's algorithm, which if anything should be helping.

You mention wireless? If you're connecting to your broadband router via wireless then that's the 1st place to look. This would explain why the engineer, with a wired connection, was getting more consistent results. It would also go some way to explain why everything is good after midnight, as that is when most people go to bed and turn everything off. Which in turn reduces EM interference with your wireless signal.

thanks for your reply mate:)
my pc is hard wired as is my eldest boys, all the other laptops etc. use the wireless.....my pc is were we tested from which got the results posted then we took the cable out mine and put it in his xp machine and it was perfect.... goggled it and im certainly not the only one with windows 7 network problems

Back
Top Bottom