Windows 7 updates

G J

G J

Associate
Some people are still giving Windows 10 a pass but rail on other hardware/software/websites etc for its continued screw ups are part of the problem why people still hang on to Windows 7.

But hey for all the user beta testing/telemetry/spyware thats apparently needed for Windows 10 it's not really helping it much is it judging by the continued threads seen on here and elsewhere.

Soldato
Why on earth people are still on 7 I do not know. Some people just love to hold on.

People are still on Windows 7 because it's the superior operating system. Why you'd swap it for a load of spyware and bloatware intertwined with a cobbled together part-touch part-mouse and keyboard interface willingly is beyond me. I have Windows 10 on my second partition now as I quite frankly have been strongarmed into using it by Microsoft. But i'm still having to chase the thing around as despite me telling it not to, it still wants to send all my personal files back to the Microsoft servers.

I'm still waiting for a decent answer to my question from previous threads - why is it acceptable for Microsoft to install bloat and malware all over your PC and harvest all your data when laptop and desktop OEMs get flamed to death for exactly the same thing, and companies like Facebook are hauled over the coals in the media for doing it?

Associate
I bit the bullet and upgraded my 3 main PCs from Win7/64 to Win10 Pro. I'm trying really hard to like Win10 - and failing. Latest irritation was Win10 replacing my perfectly functional Realtec sound driver with a crappy non-functional MS version - without asking me if I wanted it or telling me it had done so. I wasted an hour trying to figure why sound wasn't working (just getting broken audio and hissing noises). That's just one example of many 'User Experiences' so far, most of my time is spent digging into the OS disabling all sorts of sh!t and trying to get back some sort of control. I really should not have to be doing this.

Soldato
I bit the bullet and upgraded my 3 main PCs from Win7/64 to Win10 Pro. I'm trying really hard to like Win10 - and failing. Latest irritation was Win10 replacing my perfectly functional Realtec sound driver with a crappy non-functional MS version - without asking me if I wanted it or telling me it had done so. I wasted an hour trying to figure why sound wasn't working (just getting broken audio and hissing noises). That's just one example of many 'User Experiences' so far, most of my time is spent digging into the OS disabling all sorts of sh!t and trying to get back some sort of control. I really should not have to be doing this.

Windows 10 told me to " bend over and take this driver" when I originally installed my Fanatec wheel.

Newer isn't always better. 7 seemed to have better understanding of who owned the software.

Soldato
OP
Had another W7 update yesterday (Well I hope it was windows)
It is windows update KB890830 - Malicious software removal tool.
I was under the impression there was no more updates.

Caporegime
I was always saying id not be going to 10, as when it updates, it always hoses so you have to re-install, but i bit the bullet last August, and ive not had one single problem with the updates so far, all installed, and working fine.

Ive still got my old rig with 7 on though, as back-up :p

Soldato
I'm roughly a month in with Windows 10 and I still stand by my comments - Windows 7 is the superior operating system in just about every conceivable way. If you took 7 and added the updates and hardware support that 10 gets there would be absolutely no reasons to switch what-so-ever.

Windows 10 is functional, if you're prepared to use things like scripting and O&O to hack it to pieces. But come on, why should anyone have to?

Man of Honour
I've been running Windows 10 on multiple systems since pretty much day one of it being available to "insiders" still dislike it as much now as I did then - there are some great ideas but the execution on them or features that connect to them just diminish the experience even without other annoyances and I'm always glad to switch over to my main Windows 7 desktop when all is said and done.

Yeah I could go to down with scripts and so on to remove some of the annoyances but it is only a matter of time until an update changes behaviour or implementation and you are chasing it again, etc.

At the end of the day I fire up my Windows 7 PC and know I can just jump into whatever task I want to do and get on with it unless something has gone catastrophically wrong - the same I can't say for Windows 10.

Soldato
Been using only Windows 8/10 for years now. Can't love it. Ditto Office365/One Drive, Teams, SharePoint it's just a bloated confused mess.

There's literally nothing they added after Win7 that I needed.

Man of Honour
Been using only Windows 8/10 for years now. Can't love it. Ditto Office365/One Drive, Teams, SharePoint it's just a bloated confused mess.

There's literally nothing they added after Win7 that I needed.

Something I find annoying on that note though there might be more to it such as configuration issues I'm not aware of - Visual Studio 2013 works perfectly for me - but due to project requirements, etc. I'm having to use newer versions and they aren't as well designed not quite as terrible as some stuff but it is a decline but there is just so much going on in the background and/or features where it thinks it knows better than me what I'm trying to do and I have to wrestle it into compliance and intellisense often seems to get bogged down doing its own thing instead of being ready for whatever I need to do so it isn't reliably ready when I want it to auto-complete, etc.

Back
Top Bottom