Windows 8.1 asking for activation, Key in use

Permabanned
I bought this about 8 months ago off the bay, From one of the biggest UK retailers and im getting asked for activation and sent to control panel upon every 2-3rd boot.

When i activate it says key in use, Unlock imit reached. Yet this key was sealed and i only used it over Christmas on my brand new computer with a fresh install. I emailed the retailer and they told me to ring Microsoft. Whats going on? Is it stolen or a bug?

Im tempted to just get a refund and buy another copy imo. Paypal i am sure will be on my side no?

Caporegime
Have you tried following the recommendation of the reseller before getting worked up and posting on a forum / considering filing a claim with PayPal?

Permabanned
OP
Have you tried following the recommendation of the reseller before getting worked up and posting on a forum / considering filing a claim with PayPal?

You mean the reccomendation to ring Microsoft and go through hoops? Erm i think i have enough to do if something does not work, The retailer can jump through hoops not me!

Also how do i re-activate manually? It tells me my key is in use elsewhere and i need to purchase another. This is impossible i opened it fresh over Christmas and have been getting hit with this activate screen on startup since then.

Soldato
I had this with my copy got direct from Microsoft. Just dial the activation line, enter a load of numbers, tell it you only using it on 1 pc and it will issue you with a long code to key in and activate.

Caporegime
You mean the reccomendation to ring Microsoft and go through hoops? Erm i think i have enough to do if something does not work, The retailer can jump through hoops not me!

I'd rather jump through a single 5 minute hoop with Microsoft than the back-and-forth with a retailer and the posting on the internet about the problem, and then the potential PayPal claim. Seeing as your time is so valuable and all.

Associate
I had this problem where it would tell me to activate which sent me to control panel and without me doing anything it said successful. On the third or fourth time it said your code is being used by someone else phone MS or buy a new licence. I installed an earlier backup and have had no problems since.

Associate
Microsofts live chat should be able to help.

I did an upgrade about 6 months ago which included changing mobo/cpu. couldn't re-activate online (key in use message) but web support got me sorted in 5 minutes. It might be worth mentioning that they connected via remote desktop to my pc, but you could say no to it and just supply the info they need, it was just a phone activation but via webchat anyway.
I'd try that first, if it doesn't work, then consider a refund.

Last edited:
Associate
Recently, there have been a rash of Windows 7 and 8 product keys purchased from auction sites showing up as non-genuine. They appear to be connected to this HROnline code HrOnline: 0xC004C4A2. If you purchased a key from an auction web site (such as eBay), please realize that the seller may have sold that product key to multiple people resulting in that key becoming blacklisted. These keys were never meant for resale; they were meant for software development or evaluation depending on the program they were obtained through. If you purchased one of these keys and it has become non-genuine with the above code, you may need purchase a new license for windows 7 or 8. Attempt to validate by going to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate and follow the links provided to repair windows.

Added note. You only have a limited amount of time (45 days I believe) to file a claim with the auction sites. Stay away from these keys, if you purchased a key that has turned non-genuine and are within the 45 days of purchase file a claim. There are legitimate software vendors on auction sites but if it sounds to good to be true then don't buy it.

quoted from M/S online forum

Back
Top Bottom