Windows 8 BSODing

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Hi guys,

Someone help me before I smash the disc in to a billion pieces. :mad:

I installed Windows 8 pro from an upgrade disc, and all was well. Anyway, I was putting apps on and it BSOD'd. No big deal, I hadn't seen it do this on Windows 7, but hey ho, I thought it was just a case of "new and unstable".

Fast forward a few months and my system is still unreliable. I can't even transfer files to an external drive without fear of it crashing. Sometimes it'll crash when browsing, other times when it's transferring files or occasionally when I'm syncing my phone in iTunes.

The error I get is a "CRITICAL_CORRUPTION_ERROR".

I've tried many things like running my RAM at 1600MHz instead of the XMP profile. I've tried running the CPU setting at "extreme" which I saw someone mention in a similar thread but I'm stuck tbh.

All my hardware is running latest drivers and firmware and the motherboard is on the latest BIOS.

The only things I havent done is to run memtest, purely because this machine ran Windows 7 without a single problem, although I'm open to try it.

Anything else I can do? I've not got much experience troubleshooting BSODs.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Weird you said RAM, I'm hoping it wasn't that. :(

When I built the PC it was only ever showing 28 of the 32GB installed. After I tested EVERY stick in each slot I found the final slot to be dodgy. Anyway, I read online that the X79 chips are sensitive to seating and it may cause RAM slots to not correctly show up.

I reseated the CPU cooler and all appeared in Windows ok. To be honest I haven't touched it since for fear of it not working again.

I'll run memtest all day tomorrow and report back. If it fails I'll have to reseat the cooler :o

Soldato
Weird you said RAM, I'm hoping it wasn't that. :(

When I built the PC it was only ever showing 28 of the 32GB installed. After I tested EVERY stick in each slot I found the final slot to be dodgy. Anyway, I read online that the X79 chips are sensitive to seating and it may cause RAM slots to not correctly show up.

I reseated the CPU cooler and all appeared in Windows ok. To be honest I haven't touched it since for fear of it not working again.

I'll run memtest all day tomorrow and report back. If it fails I'll have to reseat the cooler :o

If it fails its the RAM bud lol RAM is very cheap theses days out of all your PC part its almost the cheapest to replace so was bit shocked you saying (I'm hoping it wasn't that.)

Another thing you using a 32GB bundle or have you mixed RAM?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
It is 2 matched pairs of 16GB corsair vengeance.

014.JPG

Better pictures coming soon, just finished formatting and I'm wrecked :p

Kit list
Corsair 650D
Intel 3930K
Asus P8X79 Pro
32GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
256GB Vertex 4 SSD
2x Seagate 3TB in RAID 0
2x Nvidia GTX680 4GB in SLI
Pioneer Blu-ray drive
Corsair AX1200 with cable braid kit
Dual bay res (hidden behind the stock fascias)
Laing D5 pump
XSPC EX240 rad
Phobya 200mm rad
Spectre Pro 200mm fan
3x Scythe GT1850s
XSPC Clearflex 7/16 tubing
EK compression fittings
EK supremacy nickel plexi cpu block
EK plexi FC680 waterblock
EK plexi dual parallel bridge
Mayhem Blue dye

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Been running for 21hrs now, and 0 errors :confused:

Any other ideas? I'd rather not reformat.

Associate
I'm also running an Asus board. I needed a bios update to make Win8 stable. Are you running the latest?

Sorry, just re-read your original post. Good luck!

Last edited:
Associate
Hi, I've been getting the exact same BSOD error and what appears to of solved it for me is the latest BETA bios for my board (gigabyte). I was previously running the latest "stable" release.

Something to check if your just running the latest standard bios I guess.

Soldato
I think it's because your USB and sound header cables are not braided or colour coordinated with the rest of the system. The other components are disgusted by this and refuse to play ball :D (lovely looking machine btw)

ps Hope you find the issue... You've done the obvious, next port of call would be the drivers .... The storage controller looks suspect. Where are the corruptions happening ? transfers from the SSD or the 2x3tb RAID-0 ?

Back
Top Bottom