windows 8 maintenance in progress?

Soldato
Hi

I have the maintenance in progress running in the background (little clock on the flag in notification panel)

I'm aware this can be set to a time that suits the user but how long does it take to complete?

My laptop has been running for about 2 hours and is still running the maintenance.

cheers

Associate
That probably depends on if you have a SSD or not (considering the length of time it's taken it's more likely that you don't have an SSD), but it'll probably take around four hours or longer depending on the size and speed of the hard drive (and most likely other components).

Before anyone asks where I got that number from, I had maintenance running on my laptop for that long and most of that was for hard drive optimization which I ended up stopping because it was taking too long.

Soldato
The maintenance runs all tasks like virus scan, disk defrag witch can take a while depending when last time you defragged drive. Check for windows update plus install them.

Soldato
Hi

I have the maintenance in progress running in the background (little clock on the flag in notification panel)

I'm aware this can be set to a time that suits the user but how long does it take to complete?

My laptop has been running for about 2 hours and is still running the maintenance.

cheers
it depends how much u use your laptop

on my desktop it took about 1 hour that's even with SDD but it does all the HDD's and it does tests ect, not only defrag / optimize

Soldato
Re-Read what I said? I say disk defrag can take long time depending when you last run it. The Maintenance does alot of things how long it takes will be different on Everyone's PC

Then why does a hard drive that is 0% fragmented take over 4 hours to get to pass 8 (that was when I killed the maintenance along with turning off any notifications to run maintenance).

Associate
Re-Read what I said? I say disk defrag can take long time depending when you last run it. The Maintenance does alot of things how long it takes will be different on Everyone's PC

It didn't even take half an hour to get through the first two parts of maintenance (check and installation of updates along with the windows defender scan), it was just the disk defrag that was taking it's time which is unusual since I last noticed maintenance running a week or so before and it didn't take that long (although I wasn't even sure if it did everything since the action centre started telling me that I needed to run a scan a few days before this whole maintenance fiasco started).

Top Bottom