Windows 8 Recover License Key

Associate
Hello,

Does anybody know how to recover a W8 license key? I do not need the key now but would like to make a note of it for future reference. It seems as though the free Magical Jelly Bean does not support W8 according to the feature list.

Are you aware of any other free and portable tools (that do not require installation and leave registry entires, etc) that will be able to recover/extract a license key from a W8 installation?

Thank you! :)

Associate
Wouldn't it be in the e-mail you was sent after you ordered (that is if you purchased a digital upgrade).

If it is on a computer where windows 8 was already installed and there's no COA, then it might be that the key could be found in the BIOS (I know one manufacturer does this now even with windows 7 installs).

Associate
OP
The battery is not user removable (without taking the laptop apart) as it is a 14z Ultrabook. A search suggests that OEMs are not supplied with COA for W8...

Associate
Not tried it myself yet, but try Piriform Speccy. I know that always showed the product key, plus its free and regularly updated. Does say Windows 8 compatible too.

Associate
OP
So all of the other tools mentioned (that no doubt read from the registry) will not work? If it really is hard-coded into the BIOS then maybe I do not need it at all. I have received (after numerous requests) an 'official' Dell recovery disk so I assume that in the event I do need to format (not something I intend to test now) that disk will correctly access the relevant BIOS entry and 'just work'. I suppose the fact that I do not have COA w/ license key and have bought the machine legitimately from Dell means that this has to be the case... Maybe I'm overthinking everything and do not need the key afterall! :)

**I'd still be interested in getting it for interest.. If it were to be a safe and easy method**

Soldato
So all of the other tools mentioned (that no doubt read from the registry) will not work? If it really is hard-coded into the BIOS then maybe I do not need it at all. I have received (after numerous requests) an 'official' Dell recovery disk so I assume that in the event I do need to format (not something I intend to test now) that disk will correctly access the relevant BIOS entry and 'just work'. I suppose the fact that I do not have COA w/ license key and have bought the machine legitimately from Dell means that this has to be the case... Maybe I'm overthinking everything and do not need the key afterall! :)

**I'd still be interested in getting it for interest.. If it were to be a safe and easy method**

Sounds like it's got a SLIC 2.2 bios then that automatically activates Windows after installing.

Back
Top Bottom