Windows 8 to 10?

Associate
Hi all,
I’m looking at changing my motherboard, cpu and ram. As I understand it, I need to reinstall windows now when I change the motherboard as the windows license is linked to the motherboard somehow?.

I still have my windows 8.1 key, but I’m just curious if I can still do a free upgrade from 8.1 to 10?

Soldato
what you should NOT do is use RWeverything to read the W8.1 key in the bios, then install W10 on the new setup and use the W8.1 key when installing W10..

you should NOT do this because the 8.1key is tied to your old board...

I'm only telling you this because if you accidently did it you would find it works so you might not realise you are technically not licensed correctly...

Associate
OP
what you should NOT do is use RWeverything to read the W8.1 key in the bios, then install W10 on the new setup and use the W8.1 key when installing W10..

This just confused the shiz outta me.
What do you mean by RW everything?. I’ve only ever installed fresh copies of windows and done the 8.1 to 10 upgrade when they first released it.
I only have a win 8 key, so I have no option but to do what you said not to do, don’t I?

Soldato
google RWeverything its a tool for reading the bios, there are other programs that will show you the windows bios key - any tool that will show you the bios key

Associate
OP
google RWeverything its a tool for reading the bios, there are other programs that will show you the windows bios key - any tool that will show you the bios key
Oh I see.
I managed to find my 8.1 key last night, so surely I don’t need to use that?

Associate
OP
what I was wondering is if I were to install this mobo, use my 8.1 key that I currently have - could I still upgrade to win 10 rather than buying a win 10 key (costing me £100 or so)

ALD

ALD

Associate
If you run the upgrade from a fully activated 8.1, make sure the allow to check for online updates box is ticked during install. You should end up with a digital licence for your windows 10.

Soldato
If you already upgraded to 10 on the previous PC, then just use the 8.1 key during the 10 install. I did that when moving onto a new build, used the latest 10 image, and plugged in my 7 key during installation and it accepted it without issue.

Associate
OP
If you already upgraded to 10 on the previous PC, then just use the 8.1 key during the 10 install. I did that when moving onto a new build, used the latest 10 image, and plugged in my 7 key during installation and it accepted it without issue.
Where would I start the win 10 install from though?. Sorry if being abit dim

Associate

you should NOT do this because the 8.1key is tied to your old board...

I'm only telling you this because if you accidently did it you would find it works so you might not realise you are technically not licensed correctly...

Subtle :)

Back
Top Bottom