1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 8 vs 7 - Gaming Performance Radeon HD 7970

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Final8y, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Final8y

Capodecina

http://www.ocaholic.ch/xoops/html/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=903&sel_lang=english

2. Bottle

Associate

It's far too early for a comparison such as this. Let the drivers for Windows 8 develop a bit. It happens with every new OS release.

3. psychodil

Wise Guy

So no performance change then from windows 7 overall?

4. flopper

Mobster

His conclusion is wrong.
    "So Microsoft ... what have you done?"

All new OS versions alter some of its layering and kernel and how it works.
    so its fair to say that windows 8 alters this a bit more than what you could see between for example Vista/windows 7 as windows 7 was a refined Vista still did match similiar gaming perfromance.
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_7_gaming/page12.asp

I expect windows 8 down the line be a better OS for gaming both for nvidia and amd cards than current windows 7. When the team learned to write the driver properly for windows 8 according to Microsofts guidelines.

5. biuro74

Wise Guy

Which will never come. They (nVidia/AMD) will never learn, and will force own solutions. And will produce WHQL drivers with issues, like it was few times :/

6. MOOGLEYS

Capodecina

Apart from 3D no longer working on Dirt 3 I have not noticed any difference or performance losses with a 7970 and Win 8 over Win 7.

7. spoffle

Capodecina

Any performance difference will be negligible anyway. The best thing is that Microsoft has written a new scheduler which will see performance gains in the future.

8. Kaapstad

Man of Honour

On the PC I think Win 8 is going to be a turkey and I suspect a lot of people will stick with Win 7. I think the new interface will be great on a phone or tablet but not on the PC. If older games don't run as well as newer games on Win 8 I can not see that changing in the near future.

If Microsoft had put as much effort into making Win 8 more efficient than Win 7 as they have into trying to make it look pretty it might have been a good thing.

All Win 8 says to me is

Classic Bloatware.

9. delta0

Mobster

Most of the windows 8 drivers are beta at the moment so it is not correct to make a comparison just yet.

10. psychodil

Wise Guy

I agree with this.

Wish they would just release a standalone OS, which is stripped down for gamers so we could dual boot.

11. shankly1985

Capodecina

I'll give it 1to2 years and we will see win9, I can see win8 failing big time they shouldn't of mixed desktop with touch.
    My bet next windows will be split touch version and desktop version. Win8 will fail like vista.

12. Gregster

Caporegime

Could you imagine us gamers using touchscreen? We would have arms like popeye :D

13. psychodil

Wise Guy

^^ you would with your 3 screens :)

14. Stanners

Don

I was under the impression that the core of each operating system was the same so there will not ever be much difference gaming wise between win 7 and 8.

15. NZB

Wise Guy

Even if there does end up a bit of a difference in gaming performance i still can't see many people moving from 7 to 8. Look how long it took people to start migrating from XP and there were clear reasons for them to do so even to crappy vista and more so 7. Win 8 just doesn't have any must have features at all and very few "Oh, that might be handy" ones either. DX11.1? Should have just called it DX12 for marketing and at least that might have prompted the clueless a little.

16. humbug

Caporegime

I did try Win 8 in RC and i couldn't stand it.

Its an OS designed purely for Tablets and then ported to Desktop, its almost as if Microsoft intentional designed it to be bloody hateful on PC.

17. danceMB

Wise Guy

As soon as I saw what they was doing as Windows 8, it is purely designed for tablet users, not for PC users at all, which is why I am going to stick with my beloved Windows 7, and will not be upgrading until they make a new version, which is built purely for the PC.

Microsoft will learn that PC users dont really want it, when they see sales figures flop when it comes to new system builds, with Windows 7 being the OS of choice

18. Beren

Mobster

I really want to put a piledriver build together in a few months, so I am watching with interest to find out how the new scheduler works out... it could make AMD 8 core chips a lot more competitive especially against the i5... but I wont be holding my breath!

19. Stanners

Don

I have installed windows 8 and have to say I am finding it a better experience than when I tried the preview a while ago.

20. Besty

Mobster

Until I saw my 4 year old trying to game on my PC by touching the screen I would not have believed in what Microsoft are doing.

It is actually a very modular OS and can be stripped down just like Linux could from day one, one of the benefits of the back-end re-write that started with Windows 7.

As soon as 3DMark Next comes out and does better on Windows 8 than 7 we will all flock like flies to a neon light :>