Windows 8 XP Upgrade Outlook Express Emails Missing

Associate
I have just upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 8. I expected it to migrate over all my Outlook Express emails into Windows 8. But I cannot find them anywhere, can anyone help?

Soldato
My understanding is that an upgrade from XP to Win 8 will not keep any program files.

All it would have backed up is things like "My Documents" Videos / Music etc.

Any software that was installed will also need reinstalling.

The only OS that can do a simple update is Win 7 as underneath the OS is very similar.

Man of Honour
There is no Outlook Express in Windows 8 AFAIK so you will likely need to import them into whatever mail client you want to replace it with e.g. Windows Mail. If you're lucky you may have a .dbx(?) file kicking around somewhere.

Associate
OP
Yes thankfully I did have a backup. I cloned the harddisk onto an SSD and upgraded that.

I will probably clone the harddisk again onto the SSD and keep it for Win XP, as there are a lot of programmes which I use. I was kind of hoping 'upgrade' meant upgrade, not wipe clean and start again.

Has anyone upgraded Windows 8 Consumer Preview to Windows 8 Pro? Does it keep the installed programmes?

Soldato
Thats good then.

AFAIK Win 8CP to RTM is not an official upgrade path from MS, you can do it, I think I know you can do it for the Release Preview as that is what I am hoping to do.

Kimbie

Associate
OP
I have just done some googling, it seems Consumer Preview/Release Preview is the same as upgrading from XP. Only account and personal files are kept.

Prepare to install all your programmes again, what a PITA. :(

Soldato
What worries me is that he's either using the 32bit version of Windows 8 (assuming he didn't have 64bit XP) or he believed that an upgrade from XP 32bit to W8 64 bit was always going to be straight forward.

The upgrade wizard even tells you that it's going to cull your PC and to make sure you have everything backed up (which, you fortunately did).

Once you have 8 up and running, you can import your mails from OE with ease

Back
Top Bottom