"windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." - HELP

Soldato
Big problem.

Win 8 laptop, want to install win7 on it for business use.

SSD installed REQUIRES AHCI driver to be loaded for windows to see the disk.

Try to install win 7 get message: "windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

Ok, so I google this and come up with solution to use gparted to format the hdd.

Load gparted, but of course it needs the AHCI driver to see the disk so im buggered.

Any idea? :confused:

Don
Hey mate,

Download Macrium Reflect free and create a custom PE rescue CD then boot from it and type the following:

1. open command prompt (on the menu bar)
2. type 'diskpart'
3. type 'sel dis <insert disk no>' (if unsure of disk number type 'lis dis')
4. type 'clean'

This will wipe all data off the SSD and then you should be able to install Windows 7 you can also run diskpart from within windows if you can attach the SSD from within a live system.

Stelly

Soldato
OP
Can you post an image of what you are actually seeing?

Stelly

Will do, was actually just going to try the marcium thingy you posted earlier...

---

No idea, but it's working now....... thanks anyway for all your help.

(Second problem will be the fact that sony havent posted any wn7 drivers for the laptop, but the boss wants what the boss wants right? I'm hoping the win 8 drivers work with win7)

Last edited:
Don
Sony are the worst laptop maker, they have loads of weird drivers for their hotkeys. I will never advise someone to get a Sony laptop, they're such a pain to rebuild!

Soldato
Sony are the worst laptop maker, they have loads of weird drivers for their hotkeys. I will never advise someone to get a Sony laptop, they're such a pain to rebuild!

I feel your pain, installing three or four different packages in the right order just to get the flipping F key brightness working.

Back
Top Bottom