Windows can't access Unraid shares

Associate
I've just moved my server to unraid, and I've pretty much got it running as I want it.

Except my windows laptop cannot access the shares.

Unraid is on the same subnet, hard wired to the router. It has a VPN running. All other devices (android and ios) can access the shares through file explorers/vlc etc. The windows device can ping and access the webgui's with no problem, but when I try to add network drives or access the network location, I get "Windows cannot access" errors. Most annoying is that the network location appears in file explorer and in the add network drive prompt.

I run a windows VM within unraid and that can access the shares without issue.

I'm presuming it's standard windows share issues, but I need to be able to access the shares from this device, and I am denied every time I try something.

Any ideas?

Associate
OP
SOLVED!

Found a solution, well lots of solutions, but nothing worked till I found this. Posting it here just in case someone else has a similar issue:

There is a setting in windows Local Security Policy which is incorrectly set by default for viewing an older communication protocol NAS.
To access said setting go to the control panel in Windows 10 (or 7), in Category view click on the text “System and Security”, then click on the text “Administrative Tools”.
Now double click and open “Local Security Policy”.
In the Local Security Policy screen on the left navigation tree, expand the “Local Policies –> Security Options” then about 2/3rd’s the way down the list you’ll see a Policy called “Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level”. Double click and change the setting to be “Send LM & NTLM – use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.”
Then just press OK and close all of the open windows and then try again

In the case of Windows 10 Home, Local Security Policy does not exist; therefore make the change in the registry (use regedit).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\control\LSA
Add:
LMCompatibilityLevel
Value Type: REG_DWORD – Number (32 bit, hexadecimal)
Valid Range 0-5
Default: 0, Set to 1 (Use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated)
Description: This parameter specifies the type of authentication to be used.

Back
Top Bottom