• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Windows defender steals 6 to 7% performance from Intel CPUs

Caporegime
perhaps AMD bungled MSFT some money so they can win in benchmarks.

oh wait they lose anyway

lol :p

The 10900K and 5800X are close in MT, stock mine scores around 15,700, around 16,200 overclocked, its marginally lower than a 10900K even with WDF off.

But there others which really don't need that leg up :) the 5900X cost the same at the time and well........ yeah.

G J

G J

Associate
Don't worry this will be fixed near the release of Raptor Lake as it accounts for 6-7% of the 10% gains over Alderlake. :D

I'll stop roasting and be abit more serious. I'm sure it will get fixed soon.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Checked this last night on my system (Win 10, 6700k) and get 0x222 from the moment I log on. Whether it's actually stealing performance I can't tell but I hit reset counters and it remained in mode 3 for the rest of the evening.

Can't wait for the next set of hardware to drop so I can upgrade, finally.

Soldato
I've been getting high CPU usage from background real-time Windows Defender activity, plus Windows 10 forcing Windows update to run (runs for 5-10 mins) every time my PC boots, which I think is too much.

Now, I just disable the Win 10 service frequently (and it reenables itself eventually anyway).

Agree with Rroff, Windows devs need a smack on the back of the head lol :D

They could offer some settings to configure /limit background CPU usage...

Does Win 11 have the same problems with Win update / defender high CPU background resource usage, too?

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought windows defender was enough but yea security wise for average user it is but performance is a different story. Av comparatives site do quarterly testing and show a lot of speed benefits with alternative av apps. But for free should we complain about windows defender?

Man of Honour
I've been getting high CPU usage from background real-time Windows Defender activity, plus Windows 10 forcing Windows update to run (runs for 5-10 mins) every time my PC boots, which I think is too much.

Now, I just disable the Win 10 service frequently (and it reenables itself eventually anyway).

Agree with Rroff, Windows devs need a smack on the back of the head lol :D

They could offer some settings to configure /limit background CPU usage...

Does Win 11 have the same problems with Win update / defender high CPU background resource usage, too?

Without a cocktail of programs like Shutup10 and Windows Update Blocker I find Windows 10 bordering on unusable sometimes even on high spec systems. Sadly that won't keep the anti-malware service and some other maintenance tasks from sometimes hogging "idle" CPU time in the background without fully disabling it/them which isn't always advisable.

It takes the mick really as my systems on other OSes like 7 and various flavours of Linux, etc. sit there at like <1% background CPU use and functionally don't offer anything different.

Soldato
I might give this setting a go:

How-to-Allocate-Processor-Resources-in-Windows-10-image-6.png

Hopefully it will complete background tasks quicker, then leave Windows free to run programs...

I don't know why they can't just allocate 1 of the cores a small amount of CPU resources to do this stuff in the background. I think this is what Intel E-cores are supposed to do in theory.

Soldato
Obviously most gamers will want to upgrade if they add a huge feature like DX12 Ultimate +++ or maybe DX13 at some point.

I might upgrade soon, just to see how much better the game pass /Xbox App and app store integration is.

Game pass on Windows 10 can sometimes download games /updates in the background, without telling the user what's going on. It's not great.

Soldato
I found out that updating the Microsoft Office App prevents windows Update from loading for 5-10 mins on Windows boot.

I'm fairly sure it was the Office app, because it was loading in the task manager in the background sometimes. After updating all my Microsoft store apps, the Windows Update service appears to be working normally. I also had to repair the Office app, as it came up with an error after loading Word. I don't like this deep level of integration of apps into Windows update, I suppose this is just the direction Microsoft is going with Windows 10/11 now. I imagine many people will avoid these sorts of problems by just letting Microsoft download app updates automatically, as needed.

Any games downloaded as part of a Game Pass sub do a similar thing, and will sometimes randomly update themselves in the background...

Last edited:
Don't worry this will be fixed near the release of Raptor Lake as it accounts for 6-7% of the 10% gains over Alderlake. :D

I'll stop roasting and be abit more serious. I'm sure it will get fixed soon.

That roast would have been so much better if AL was affected :)

Also people use Windows Defender?
This just means Intel has an even bigger lead than we thought! :D

Serious note wonder what changed between SL based and AL cpus?
Given AMD and Al aren't affected it would be interesting to know.

Back
Top Bottom