Windows disk limit problems

Associate
Ok guys ive had my pc a few weeks now and when i got it i had problems getting windows onto it as it wouldnt boot up after completing the partion part of the setup something to do with it not having service pack 1 on it. So i had to use a shall we say "naughty" version of windows to see if everything was working ok, but now i wanted to install my good version of XP and im having big problems with the windows HDD maximum limit size. my disk is 320GB but its only showing as 137GB in windows ive tried messing about with partions but still no joy. windows works fine now other than that so any ideas whats up.

Disk in question is a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 SATAII 320GB on a Gigabyte GA_965P_DS3

Man of Honour
Service Pack 2 is what I believe you need, after that you should be able to go into Drive Management(Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Drive Management) to access the unformatted space.

Soldato
VeNT said:
strange how you can do this in Windows 2k SP 4
but not in Windows XP SP 1 (that came later)

Nothing strange, you're just misinformed :) SP1 has the needed 48 bit LBA fix for over 137GB, SP2 is not needed for that. Theres even a registry value you can can change for pre sp1 machines to support 48 Bit LBA.

Soldato
You can use something like partition magic to do that, however the best way to go about this is to make a slipstreamed windows install disc with SP2 and install windows, with the service packs slipstreamed it'll see the proper disk size and allow you to use all of the space, its the way i'd recommend.

Associate
Justintime said:
You can use something like partition magic to do that, however the best way to go about this is to make a slipstreamed windows install disc with SP2 and install windows, with the service packs slipstreamed it'll see the proper disk size and allow you to use all of the space, its the way i'd recommend.

But you wouldn't want a Windows partition that big now would you? ;) 30Gb is pushing it for a single partition in Windows.

Back
Top Bottom