Windows fax and scan

Associate
I note that one of the advantage of ultimate vista is Windows Fax and Scan.

Apparently I need a fax modem to send/receive faxes. This is probably a noob qustion - what is a 'fax modem'? Is it just a standard modem, do OcUK sell them?

Associate
I'm almost certain all the old 56k modems had the ability to fax. I'm thinking back to the late 90's when 56k was my max connection and yep the few cheap ones I had during this time were all fax modems.

Basically providing you have a telephone line you set up the modem to recognise incoming faxes (calls come through normally). This of course means handing out your telephone number to be used as a fax number too.

I maybe wrong and hopefully some can put me right if I am. It has been a while, but I'm suprized this is a feature of Windows Ultimate only, as it was available in Windows 95 as an additional download.

Associate
Any modem you buy new will have fax capabilities (or at the very least 99.9% of them), if you want to get one cheaper you can buy one in the member's market and specify that it must be fax compatible.

(as far as I'm aware they haven't made non-fax ones for quite some time)

Associate
One thing I forgot to mention...

Fax modems are not all equal. I have set up a few linux fax servers and have gained some experience in this. There are several versions of the fax protocol, part of the burbling on initial connection is the working out of who is the least advanced fax device and then going with the lowest common denominator (linke Endermol). If it takes faxes it takes faxes but sometimes not the advanced features (like colour or font support), other than colour this will just mean that it takes longer to receive a fax.

Back
Top Bottom