Windows not loading after boot (Dualboot)

Associate
PC is the one in the specs below.

So I woke up this morning, turn the PC on to see it's frozen on loading the OS. Normally the Keyboard and mouse are lit when its available and working. After restarting, it appears that it's possible to enter the UEFI BIOS and boot menu with no issue. Though the strange thing is that upon entering the BIOS, all settings are back to default. This includes the CPU overclock. During all freezes the keyboard & mouse LEDs turn off.

There are 2 SSDs each with a different OS. By default, it tries to load the first SSD which contains Windows 7. When I try booting to it from the boot menu, sometimes it freezes on the Windows logo and other times it gets past that and asks for a disc check. Upon which it then freezes.

The other SSD is Windows 10. Selecting the Windows Boot Manager from the boot menu normally boots into Win10. The first time I tried, it froze on the Windows logo similar to Windows 7. The times after that, it attempts to load the startup repair and that also freezes.

I do recall that both versions of Windows did have updates this week. But they installed earlier on in the week with no issues.

I've not tried much else at this time, no opportunity since I've got to go to work in a bit. But after I get back I'll give things like safe mode and unplugging everything a try.

I'm wondering if anyome else has encountered such an issue or if it sounds familoar to anyone. I feel it's highly unlikely it's a hard drive or OS issue, since there are 2 OS on seperate hard drives that seem to result in the same issue. I do have a spare GPU and CPU (compatible with Z97 socket mbs) to test a gew things out if need be. And there's the option of my brother's PC downstairs to help test parts (same chipset). I just hope it's not a hardware issue, since prices of these parts (and current day equivalents) have risen a lot since I bought them.

Any ideas as to what it is before I go mad trying out every idea under the sun?

Soldato
Sounds like an SSD issue. I've had computers that fail to boot properly with a dodgy second hard drive installed, despite the OS not being on that drive.

I'd try taking out each SSD in turn and booting with only one in.

Associate
OP
Sounds like an SSD issue. I've had computers that fail to boot properly with a dodgy second hard drive installed, despite the OS not being on that drive.

I'd try taking out each SSD in turn and booting with only one in.

As I said, unlikely it was the SSD since both had the same issue and they are both not very old. Speaking of...

Came home from work and tried a whole bunch of stuff. I ended up booting with the bare minimum, onboard graphics, single SSD and it worked. So I decided to try swapping out the GPU for my old 970 and it still works.

Looks like it turns out that the 2nd hand 980ti I bought gave up. On the plus side, the GPU being the faulty part was easily resolved by just replacing with the spare I had lying around. However, this was one of the parts I really didn't want to go. The GPU market is a sham right now and I refuse to buy any of the current offerings at the asking price. At least a 970 isn't too bad.

Problem solved, but now I'm back at where I was at the start of a year. Itching for a GPU upgrade with no options that fancy my taste (I think I'll leave it at that for a 2nd hand GPU).

Associate
OP
Update 25 Oct 2017:

Turns out it's not the GPUs fault after all. It's done it again with the older GPU, at this rate Im starting to think it could be the board or the PCIe connection. Which I'd prefer it to not be, since Gigabyte boards are supposed to be the most reliable.

In all fairness, I never did test out the 980ti in another PC to see if it worked, mainly due to not having another rig to test it on.

I'm out of ideas at this point. This issue makes me completely GPUless if I walk around it.

Update: Not even removing the GPU did much. At first the PC seemed to struggle to start. It turned on, fans were running and then it gave up. It did this several times in a row. I then put back the side panels and tried again. It still fails once and then starts to load.

First time loading up Windows 10, it froze and KB/mouse were unusable. Then loading up Windows 7, it did a disk check, restarted and then did another disk check on the Windows 10 drive. This disk check deleted a whole bunch of stuff (it said on screen as the check took place). Windows 7 would then not load.

I eventually got onto Windows 10 and there's no system restore point or any way to revert back to the previous update of Windows. I'm rather lost as to what's going on. Could even be a Windows issue at this point, perhaps hardware isn't even to blame?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom