Windows & & The Internet

Associate
I am running 64bit windows 7 Home Premium. My problem is that I cannot connect to the internet with my desktop via LAN

My desktop tower PC is sitting behind a wireless Sky router connect by an Ethernet cable.

When I boot up, the network icon is fine ( bottom right of screen ), and I can access the internet on Windows IE or Chrome for apx minute. Then after that I cannot open any web pages. When click on diagnose the problem, it says that troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem. As the Windows help centre also can not access the web.

It seems no other programme can access the web.

I have tried clicking on Windows update & Windows Defender updates and the programmes just hang.

The PC is a complete new rebuild apx 6 weeks ago. The web access worked fine and I have only had problems since Monday / Tuesday this week, and I am pretty sure it is a windows update

The only issue I have had is with my Origin centre for battlefield games as that also has problems logging in.

The Sky Router has worked fine and I have various smart devises connect vis WiFi and TV connected by ether net cable. All have been working fine for years !

Can any one please suggest what tests or what settings I need to check ! ?

I found this link on the MicroSoft web site

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...internet/f86e2b52-00e6-47a3-9b1b-42b693e8d735

Oh yes, I did call 0344 800 2400 (http://contactnumbers.buzz/microsoft/ ) a number on that was suppose to be a Microsoft support centre. Thye Indian Tech wanted to connect to my PC even though I informed I can not access the web. I am not sure if this a legitimate Microsoft Tech centre. However the call waiting menu system is very convincing !

Many thanks

T

Soldato
Don't even bother trying to contact Microsoft, they won't even know how to help you.

Is it the system in your sig? Is this the motherboard?: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5KC/

Go to Control Panel -> Network & Sharing Centre -> and on the left select change network adapters, what does it say for the ethernet adapter (eg Realtek/Intel/etc)? Also, double click it and in the new window select "Details", is it getting a valid IP address and DNS?

Do you also have any other software that could be trying to "optimise" the network traffic?

Associate
OP
Don't even bother trying to contact Microsoft, they won't even know how to help you.

Is it the system in your sig? Is this the motherboard?: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5KC/

Go to Control Panel -> Network & Sharing Centre -> and on the left select change network adapters, what does it say for the ethernet adapter (eg Realtek/Intel/etc)? Also, double click it and in the new window select "Details", is it getting a valid IP address and DNS?

Do you also have any other software that could be trying to "optimise" the network traffic?

The PK5C is my old motherboard, I need to update my signature ! ! !

This is my new MoBo
Asus TUF Z270 Mark 2 Intel Z270 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Soldato
Associate
OP
Do you have the latest network drivers installed?: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...k-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-7-?product=82186

Do you have the Asus Turbo LAN software installed as well? Disable/remove it, it could be interfering with the network traffic.

You also haven't mentioned if you're getting a proper IP address and DNS.

sorry for the delay I have been on holiday and away for work as well.
I powered uip my PC the other day and every thing is running well !
Now I am not sure what the issue was as I could not get on gthe web or any applications could access the web either.
I have checked for Asus Turbo LAN and an not find any programe with that name. So as far as I can tell it is not installed on my PC.
Is there any test or settings I can check to see why or what was causing the problem, as I do not want to be stuck not knowing what to do in the furure if it happens again !
you're getting a proper IP address and DNS,
I will have to ask my ISP Sky what my IP addrss is.
The security shild that Sky other I have turned off as theat was causing me problems when it was first launched.
Any suggestions please ?

Soldato
you're getting a proper IP address and DNS

You don't need to ask Sky your IP, you could literally google "what is my ip" and it will tell you. But that's your internet IP address, I mean your internal IP address for the PC with the issue. You can find out by right clicking the network icon on the notification tray, open Network and Sharing Centre, click on Ethernet, then Details and it will tell you your internal IP, gateway (which should be the same as the Sky router's IP) and DNS (usually the router IP as well).

Associate
OP
OK, up date, my PC is connecting to the web again so I suspect this must be either a program blocking the access or a driver issue

I have this message once I log into my desk top

Then after 30-50 seconds I can not get on to the internet.
Within the first 30 seconds I can open a web browser like chrome or MS IE

I also have this message as well

Not sure what is going on as I have been out of the PC build for many years and I feel like a newbie,...arrr

Last edited:
Soldato
Get Windows 10, you're running a Kaby Lake Processor. Or if you want your shiny new hardware working with Windows 7 (not sure why you'd want to?) start doing some research.

Associate
OP
your cpu is only supported in windows 10 and Microsoft will not update win 7, 8, 8.1.

I have used windows 10 and I am not a fan at all. As it is marginally better than 8 which is terrible.

I will also need to check if all my third party games and software will run on windows 10 if ever do upgrade.

I have manged to find out what the problem or problems were.
Firstly I thing McFee AV firewall was blocking Chrome, Windows IE, origin etc. I tried to allow the programs access in the settings. It seems McFee had not installed properly and was causing problems.
Secondly the LAN driver was either out of date so I used arcvader link to update the driver.
All seems to be working now,...arrr so frustrating.

Is there a contact e mail for telephone number for microsoft for any future issues ! ?

Last edited:
Associate
If you call Microsoft they will tell you, you should contact the person or company who build the pc for help, a real pain when the problem is Microsoft.

As for games working on win 10 I have games from 2000 and are for win xp eg sim city 2000, stalker shadow of Chernobyl , stalker clear sky, batman Arkham asylum, battlefield 3+4, fi 2010, dead space, bioshock 2, cod world at war, cod modern warfare+2+3, fable 3, grand theft auto plus what is on my steam, origin, arc and Uplay all work, as long as the xbox app game recorder is turned off and I have turned of all the game recorders in origin, steam, arc Uplay off as these interfere with the controls in game. I do not know if your third party software will work.

If I was you I would do a complete fresh install of win 10 on a different hdd or ssd of 60gb min, to see if all your games and third party software works. By doing it this way you will still have your win 7 install as is.
If or when you install win 10, let win 10 do all the updates then check for updates until there is no more updates before installing games, third party software and the av last. As this makes it a lot smother for the installs.

Download win 10 iso, media creation tool and Rufus tool from Microsoft, use the media creation tool to change the iso to a bootable iso and use the rufus tool to burn the iso to dvd or a flash usb stick with 4gb min. I used a 10gb flash usb drive as it is quicker to install. The iso has the 32/64 bit home and pro and depending on what your win7 is, home gets you win 10 home, win7 pro up will get you win10 pro.

Back
Top Bottom