1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Update Affecting Karen's Replicator ?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by GrahamW42, Apr 18, 2017.

1. GrahamW42

Associate

I've used Karen's Replicator (KR) on a daily basis on several PCs for MANY years (probably >10). The KR routines I run haven't changed for months (maybe even years). They run automatically each day.

ISTR a Windows update a day or so ago.

Yesterday (17th April 2017) the backup was slow - so I looked at the KR log file. It showed an error for every item that required a new folder to be set up on the backup (target) drive.

If the folder exists, KR will copy new files. If the folder doesn't exist, it won't create one.

After a bit more research I can confirm that this is true on TWO PCs (one a tower and one a laptop). The problem occurs both with an off-board USB-connected HDD and also to a secondary internal HDD. So it is not simply a "USB issue".

Has something changed in Windows ? Is there a setting I can change to allow "Karen" to create new folders on the target drive ?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. ljunk

Associate

Hi, did you ever find a solution to this, or an understanding of what is happening? I too have used KR for years, don't want to switch, but this new behaviour is unbearable. Tempted to have a root around in the VB6 source code if I had some idea about what I was looking for.

3. TWiNKLeT0Es

Gangster

Odd :D

At least the search function works i suppose.

:Edit:

Oh my bad i though the OP posted in 2016 did you both join just for this issue?

4. ljunk

Associate

Yep, I did.

5. TWiNKLeT0Es

Gangster

How did you find it? And welcome.

I assume he/she may sill be around was last seen Jun 6.

Good luck :)

6. ljunk

Associate

Found a link here straight from a search via search engine. I was looking for "Karen's Power Tools Windows 10" or something along those lines.

7. oceang

Associate

I have had this issue as well on all my upgraded Windows 10 machines and also on Windows Server 2016.

I bit the bullet and have converted all my usage to Robocopy with batch files and task scheduler.

A real shame as I have been successfully using Karens for well over 10 years now.

8. ljunk

Associate

I stopped worrying about this when I realised that I can just use rsync on my Ubuntu partition (which I'm not very familiar with). Instantly stopped mourning for the Replicator... it's a great tool.