Windows Update KB5034441 install error

Associate
It disappeared for about a week on my machines but now it's back again, still giving the same error. Bad even my Microsoft standards.

Soldato
From what I'm observing only my Bitlocker enabled boot drive, Win 10 machines are affected. I think MS have published some fix instructions that involve adjusting the recovery partition size? Probably end up giving that a test at the weekend...

Associate
Interesting... do you have a Recovery partition out of interest?
Yeah, it's just the default partition layout the installer created on a clean drive:

Code:
Partition 1    System             100 MB  1024 KB
Partition 2    Reserved            16 MB   101 MB
Partition 3    Primary            880 GB   117 MB
Partition 4    Recovery           633 MB   880 GB

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the issue is down to the size of the recovery partition not having enough space.

Don't think BitLocker matters if enabled or not.

Edit, link below.

IMPORTANT
This update requires 250 MB of free space in the recovery partition to install successfully. If the recovery partition does not have sufficient free space, this update will fail. In this case, you will receive the following error message:
0x80070643 - ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE
To avoid this error or recover from this failure, please follow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update and then try installing this update.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have this on boths kids PCs, been trying things, update diagnostics etc...
Finda things, fixes things, but won't install still.

I guess it's wait for MS to fix it, or do the partition thing, but that looks a bit scary!

Associate
Looks like they don't really have any intention of releasing an alternative update for this considering it's been broken for 6 weeks now.

I didn't want to faff around with resizing partitions because I have a lot of Win 10 machines but gave up waiting and just went ahead and did it this morning. Microsoft is pretty out of touch with the average computer user if they expect them to follow their instructions without breaking anything.

Soldato
It's pretty poor but what do we expect from modern Microsoft?
The cynic in me says they don't want to fix it, and might even benefit from it. I could imagine some seeing a dodgy update and it being the final push they need to get a new-shiny Windows 11 PC.

Back
Top Bottom