windows vista cache

Associate
hi all just a question about physical memory cache i currently have 3 gig pc6400 ram 2x1gb + 2x512 running with a q6600 and i was checking my system performance with task manager and it states that i have 3 gig ram 2 gig of which is cached now no matter what i do ie - play a game convert a dvd and even tried converting 2 at same time as a test my memory usage never goes above 1.12 gb and cpu usage dosent go above 34% when converting 1 dvd and about 57% when doing 2 at same time but the ram usage dosent change with 1 or 2 at a time so what i want to know is this limiting the overall performance of my system and if so how do i change the cache size if nescessary any help would be great

Soldato
Cache can be overwritten immediatly, if an app would ''request'' more ram, it'd really use it instead of cache besides some apps list their ram usage as ''cache, my nero 7 when i was ripping a cd filled my ram, while windows said it was cache... ( ram usage meter was sayign 100%, but taskman said it was cache), usually ram meter has about 50% of my ram free, when its actually used for cache)
If in doubt, you can always try disabling superfetch, I recommend you keep it on, its what makes vista so great I think.

Associate
OP
k cheers for the reply i just thought for some reason vista was only using 1 gig of the 3 available but if thats not the case then all well and good

Back
Top Bottom