Windows XP Licensing FAQs and common misconceptions

Man of Honour
OP
eveyuk said:
Too late for that!

So if I upgrade my MOBO, RAM, Video card my Xp is not in licence as an OEM version? Does this apply to the OEM small business office Xp I have too? That's a very expensive upgrade.

Obviously if I had known about this I would have found the extra for the retail versions.

If you upgrade your MOBO then you'll not be licensed for Windows. You can upgrade the RAM and Graphics card without problems though. As for Office, i'm not sure and i'd need to look at the EULA. Unfortuently, I'm having some DNS issues and can't look it up.

Burnsy

Man of Honour
OP
eveyuk said:
http://digg.com/software/Microsoft:_Upgraded_Motherboard_=_New_Windows_Licence

Interesting reading, a broken MB will allow you to transfer the OEM licence. I don't know if this is true or current.

This is current, as if you read the FAQ I did mention it.

However, you can change the motherboard under a warranty claim if the motherboard was faulty.

Which is why i specially said if you upgrade the motherboard, then you invalidate the license. I think i'll highlight that point.

Energize said:
Yes it is, if you upgrade an oem pc you just tell them that your motherboard broke.

You do realise you are condoning the breaking of the EULA and therefore committing software piracy, which is illegal.

Burnsy

Last edited:
Associate
Good thread. It's amazing how many people don't know what OEM means other than a "cheap" version of windows.

I can add one piece of advice, when vista comes around, and you have the slightest interest in building computers, buy the boxed version. I bought a boxed copy of XP Home back in 2001 when it was just out, and it has done me almost 5 years worth of machines and upgrades. A little bit more expensive, but it can save you in the long run.

Caporegime
burnsy2023 said:
This is current, as if you read the FAQ I did mention it.

Which is why i specially said if you upgrade the motherboard, then you invalidate the license. I think i'll highlight that point.

You do realise you are condoning the breaking of the EULA and therefore committing software piracy, which is illegal.

Burnsy

If no one knows it isn't a crime ;) Not that a EULA would actually stand up in court.

Besides you could easily argue that a motherboard isnt a computer.

Last edited:
Associate
hooneeawr said:
Good thread. It's amazing how many people don't know what OEM means other than a "cheap" version of windows.
I think most people like me thought it was just minus the M$ support... typical M$ though i guess... there's got to be a major catch if it's much cheaper... should have known.

Soldato
Energize said:
If no one knows it isn't a crime ;)
Christ, that's a can of worms if ever I've seen one.

Energize said:
Not that a EULA would actually stand up in court.
It's just because it's largely untested doesn't mean it wont hold up. Plus if a EULA related case ever made it into court, there are few companies/institutions that could match the resource of Redmond when it comes to fighting a case.

Regardless, I wont have anyone advocating anything that breaks software licensing, so cut it out.

Man of Honour
OP
Otacon said:
It's just because it's largely untested doesn't mean it wont hold up. Plus if a EULA related case ever made it into court, there are few companies/institutions that could match the resource of Redmond when it comes to fighting a case.

I do believe there are chunks of the EULA that probably wouldn't stand up in court, but I can't afford a legal battle with MS and I doubt anyone here could.

Thats why I am properly licensed and suggest that everyone here is too.

This is a big can of worms which is why I kept it out of the FAQ.

Burnsy

Soldato
Otacon said:

Regardless, I wont have anyone advocating anything that breaks software licensing, so cut it out.

Yes but you might be condoning an unlawful license agreement, unless its been tested in court, we dont know.. It is after all a document written by somebody at ms, probably in the us, not a piece of uk legislation. Yes we do agree to it when we click 'i agree' but as far as i am aware, that does not mean its enforceable (unless it is of course) and.... when you click 'i agree', that is not to a piece of uk legislation either.

So it could be enforceable and on the face of it is a legal agreement but lawyers get paid a lot of money to argue the meaning of things in court and it really needs a test case.

Just to be clear, i am not condoning anything, just discussing the possible rights and wrongs, unless one wishes to be the test case, one has to abide by the agreement, but just because a company (any company) creates an agreement and you sign it, does not mean it can definitely be enforced.

Caporegime
Otacon said:

Question is though, does it specificaly mention your not allowed to change the motherboard or just say your not allowed to transfer it to a computer?

Soldato
Then it's a good thing isn't it?
If you want them to use the true meaning of the word "Computer" that would mean that your OEM license would cease to be the moment you changed anything inside your machine.
Heck, if you replaced your mouse you would in theroy be replacing part of your computer and thus would require a new license.

If they tie the license to the motherboard then this is obviously good as you could replace anything and everything else and still have a valid license.

This reminds me of all the court battles people are fighting on "our behalf" in the courts against Microsoft.
So far every "win" in court against MS has meant something bad for the end user (like the need to sell a stripped down version of WinXP with half the features missing).
Sometimes people fight against something for the hell of it without realising exactly what it is they are fighting for!

Caporegime
Still though just because you change the motherboard doesnt means its a different computer, thats like saying giving a person a new kidney makes them a completley different person.

Back
Top Bottom