Windows XP SP4?

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
You don't have to ditch XP just yet.

- Don't run as admin. Do use a limited user account.
- Don't use IE.
- Don't use MS office

Soldato
But for any 'average' home users out there still running XP, with their local administrator accounts expecting always on connection to the Internet their systems are going to be as compromised as you can get - there's no more security updates being released. Lets see how happy they are with XP when they fall foul of the inevitable vulnerabilities that are released in the coming months.

It's kind of funny that people seem to think that the day after support ends the will suddenly be a load of new vulnerabilities found in a 13 year old O/S, considering the people you mentioned most likely never update Windows and will be running SP1/SP2 it's really a mute point. And with it's usage % dropping the will be even less motivation for hackers to try and discover vulnerabilities that have evaded them for over a decade.

Soldato
The thing I find funny is that XP is still the second most used Operating System on the market at this time:

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/one-week...ows-xp-still-installed-on-2769-percent-of-pcs

Kind of embarrassing for Microsoft really.

That's because those are business workstations and so upgrading them would have major cost and practical problems, I.E if you upgrade them all to W8 then a Server 2003 system will have some issues, for those businesses W7 is a better choice as that gives them more time to work on upgrading their server hardware/software.

This has also impacted the uptake of Office 2013 as Outlook 2013 can't talk to Exchange 2003.

That's because those are business workstations and so upgrading them would have major cost and practical problems, I.E if you upgrade them all to W8 then a Server 2003 system will have some issues, for those businesses W7 is a better choice as that gives them more time to work on upgrading their server hardware/software.

This has also impacted the uptake of Office 2013 as Outlook 2013 can't talk to Exchange 2003.

Yes I know the reason, it doesn't detract from the fact that XP is still the 2nd most popular OS at the moment, after Windows 7.

Soldato
Yes I know the reason, it doesn't detract from the fact that XP is still the 2nd most popular OS at the moment, after Windows 7.

It wasn't meant to detract from it, it was meant to explain it and thus why it isn't an embarrassment it's simply normal. When XP was launched most businesses were still on NT4, they later transitioned to 2000 and Vista was on the scene before XP surpassed 2000, businesses are always slow to change O/S due to the expense, inconvenience and the fact that what they have already works.

Don
From a business point of view, computers always needed to be quicker, since ~2008, in a pure business sense, hardware hasn't changed enough for a company to warrant upgrading to anything else.

A core2duo CPU will still do the job fine. Sure an i5 etc would be quicker, but why go to that expense when the product you have is working fine.

Many companies won't upgrade until things STOP working.

Back
Top Bottom