[Windows XP] Start Menu

Soldato
Hi there,

Is it possible to point the My Videos and My Music (the ones in the start menu) to differnt folders?

If so how?

Thanks...

Soldato
Registry is the key here :)

you can do this by editing the registry (should back it up first tho :cool: ).
To do this open the registry editor (Start, Run, type regedit, press ok) and browse to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
double click "My Music" and edit the path

hope it helps :D

Associate
blighter said:
To do this open the registry editor (Start, Run, type regedit, press ok) and browse to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Wicked, didn't even know you could do that. :cool:

Soldato
OP
blighter said:

That doesn't seem to work for me or am i doing something wrong? Do I have to save or something....lol...cause whenever i quit and go back on it reverts to what it was...?

Thanks...

Soldato
hmm.. i did this a while ago and its worked for me..

try changing:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

if that doesnt work then i cant remember *** i did :confused: lol sorry

Soldato
OP
Hi there,

Just to make sure, the spaces aren't supposed to be there are they?

Thanks...

[edit]

That didn't work either?

Last edited:
Soldato
im not sure *** went wrong :eek: i feel bad i couldnt help so googled the question for you.. it came up with this:

Change the location of the My Music or My Pictures Folders

In Windows 2000, Microsoft added the ability to right-click the My Documents folder and choose a new location for that folder in the shell. With Windows XP, Microsoft has elevated the My Music and My Pictures folders to the same "special shell folder" status of My Documents, but they never added a similar (and simple) method for changing those folder's locations. However, it is actually pretty easy to change the location of these folders, using the following method.

Open a My Computer window and navigate to the location where you'd like My Music (or My Pictures) to reside. Then, open the My Documents folder in a different window. Drag the My Music (or My Pictures) folder to the other window, and Windows XP will update all of the references to that folder to the new location, including the Start menu.

(Source: http://www.freepctech.com/pc/xp/xp00174.shtml

if that doesnt work, i give up lol

Soldato
OP
Hi there,

Lol....that didn't seem to work either, it doesn't matter tho, i am not too bothered by it.

Thanks for your efforts.

Thanks...

Soldato
Download the free Tweak UI PowerToy from Microsoft.

There's an option in there to change the location of your Documents, Music, Video and Pictures folders. TweakUI makes all the changes in the Registry so you don't have to.

Or just search for the terms "My Music" etc in the Registry and where ever they appear change the location to the folder you want.

Here's the page with a link to Tweak UI plus other PowerToys

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

Also, once you change the location the default yellow folder icon on the Start Menu change to a Hard Disk icons, and the label instead of saying "My Music" will change to "Shortcut to My Music". So if you liek a tidy Start Menu like me it's best to move the shortcuts to the Quick Launch toolbar where you can rename and change the icons. There may be a way to change the icons back in the Start Menu but I haven't found it yet.

It's still worth changing the folder locations as it saves time when saving pictures, documents etc as Explorer will always open up the default folder location for the filetype in the Save As dialog.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Lol, where in Tweak UI? I already had it as I thought you could change it there too but i cant see it :|

Anychance of a screeny?

Thanks...

Permabanned
btw the registry hack above DOES work, you just have to initiate a log-off and log-on if you've editted the HKCU hive, or reboot if you changed the HKLM one. Though the powertoy (although Im not a fan of "helper programs" of this sort- just extra crud installed on your machine to do things Windows can do itself tbh!) does provide a more user-friendly and more easily-reversible method :)

Back
Top Bottom