Windscreen washer broken - MOT fail?

Soldato
One of the four washers is not spraying any water but the remaining three are sufficient to clear the window - is this likely to fail the MOT?

The rules say it will fail if:
  • The washers do not provide enough liquid to clear the windscreen in conjunction with the windscreen wipers
..anyone had any experience of this?

Soldato
It is subjective. The MOT'er could argue "sufficient" was deemed by the manufacturer when they fitted four jets.

Odds are they won't give a toss/notice. They'll hit the jets, it'll squirt, they'll suggest you need new wiper blades.

Soldato
OP
Was just looking at the last MOT report and it has:​

Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Nearside Stop lamp(s) not working (4.3.1 (a) (ii))
  • Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (3.5 (a))
  • Exhaust Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits (8.2.1.2 (c))

They fixed the exhaust and bulb so it passed but on the new report the washer isn't mentioned even though they didn't fix it..

I'm assuming a new washer is not likely to be expensive?

Soldato
I've known washers to block before on some older cars and causing hoses to pop off under pressure. Have you checked to see if you can see the hose is connected? It could be a simple fix.

Soldato
One of the four washers is not spraying any water but the remaining three are sufficient to clear the window - is this likely to fail the MOT?
No, unless the tester is specifically looking to get his fail figures within the national average, and my god I’ve worked with a few who do that (personally, if it’s a fail I’ll fail it, **** the figures).
Certain items when fitted as standard must work fully and will fail if not, but washers don’t come under that category.

Last edited:
Associate
Whilst possibly not directly related to your fault, I found a few days before my MOT that my washers weren't working at all, reasearching it made it look like mixing different kind of washer fluid can cause gunk to build up and block the path from the bottle to the jets.

The solution, which worked excellently, was to chuck a couple of steradent tablets in the bottle and leave it for a little while. As removing the bottle to clean it out was a considerable job due to it's location I was glad it did, I know have a tube of steradent tablets in my garage should the need ever arise again.

Caporegime
Whilst possibly not directly related to your fault, I found a few days before my MOT that my washers weren't working at all, reasearching it made it look like mixing different kind of washer fluid can cause gunk to build up and block the path from the bottle to the jets.

The solution, which worked excellently, was to chuck a couple of steradent tablets in the bottle and leave it for a little while. As removing the bottle to clean it out was a considerable job due to it's location I was glad it did, I know have a tube of steradent tablets in my garage should the need ever arise again.
BMW? It's very common in BMW's as they use a very different formulation of washer fluid compared to the normal stuff and mxing them can, as you've said, turn the liquid into a jelly like substance that blocks the pickup in the bottle and can even make the car think it's out of fluid too.

Associate
BMW? It's very common in BMW's as they use a very different formulation of washer fluid compared to the normal stuff and mxing them can, as you've said, turn the liquid into a jelly like substance that blocks the pickup in the bottle and can even make the car think it's out of fluid too.

Nothing so exotic, just a Vauxhall Corsa, but I doubt I've ever bought the same screenwash twice, I just tend to buy whatever works out as best value at the time I need to buy some more. Always been super cautious when it comes to oil and antifreeze but never gave screenwash a second thought.

Back
Top Bottom