Wine - Bulk Buying

Soldato
I have £100 to spend on a cheese and wine night. A minimal amount will be spent on beer, an even smaller amount on a packet of cheese slices, and around £75 on wine. My question to the drinkers, drunkards and degenerates of OcUK is where is the cheapest place to get reasonably drinkable wine.

Bear in mind I'm in Scotland so multibuy has flown the coop.

Soldato
Virginwines, Laithwaites and the like always have introductory offers for new members. It'll be worth checking them out.
Also, Tesco wine dispatch from England (or at least that was what they intended to do to get around the new legislation) so can still offer multibuy deals.
Alternatively, befrined someone (me) who gets 10% off at ASDA and invite them to come for free wine... ;)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
cheese and wine night... cheese slices

Wha?

I almost always use Virgin Wines. Haven't bought a mixed case in a while but they currently have an offer on red, white or mixed bin end cases for £60. Will get you three or four decent-ish wines in a case of 12.

With the £15 you've just saved on the wine, please buy some good cheese. :p

Soldato
I use BBR to buy my wine online in bulk. However if you are looking for cheap stuff, then one of those places that always have silly money off vouchers will do, Virgin Wines and another one whose name escapes me at the moment seem to be popular.

Cheese slices?

Edit - Naked Wines is who I was thinking of.

Soldato
OP
I love my cheese but nobody would thank me for spending any real amount of money on it. It's a cheese and wine night in name only with the cheese slices being a ceremonial nod to the night's origins :p

A few bowls of crisps and as much alcohol as possible is the order of the day. Cheers for the suggestions I'll go and have a look around. Getting Tesco to deliver from England is looking like a decent option for the cheapness.

Last edited:

Soldato
Virginwines, Laithwaites and the like always have introductory offers for new members. It'll be worth checking them out.
Also, Tesco wine dispatch from England (or at least that was what they intended to do to get around the new legislation) so can still offer multibuy deals.
Alternatively, befrined someone (me) who gets 10% off at ASDA and invite them to come for free wine... ;)

you kept that quiet. :)

when you coming round for a bbq :)

Soldato
OP
£5-£8 is unfortunately way out of budget. We wouldn't even get tipsy at that price.

Perhaps the better question would be to ask what is the very very cheapest wine available on somewhere like Tesco Wines (as it seems to have the cheapest, or worst?) that is passable? You get crazy deals on stuff like Isla Negra at the moment but I wouldn't have a clue if it's even remotely drinkable.

Soldato
If it's just to get smashed on, then you might be best looking at boxes of wine from a supermarket. Might work out cheaper. A random selection from Lidl/Aldi might also be cheap.

If you're looking for £3 bottles of wine, then you'll get something that tastes like it's £3...

Soldato
Well if you spend a max of £4 a bottle, that'll give you 18 bottles. There is no point having the night if you're spending less than that, as it'll just be horrible. Just buy white lightning if you all want to get drunk

Soldato
OP
It's a poor situation to be honest, grossly underfunded with expectations of plenty drinkable wine. Somethings got to give and I won't please everyone.

Might go for stuff like this?

http://www.tesco.com/wine/product/details/default.aspx?id=256267770

24 bottles for just over £70 after a £10 voucher and delivery. I realise the discount is probably exaggerated but at least it might taste slightly better than a bottle that was £3 to begin with.

As for the boxes of wine idea, I considered that but I'd probably get lynched by lecturers if I tried it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom