Wine tasting tours in France

Associate
Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't the correct sub forum but I know that there's a lot of wine lovers in here!

I want to take my girlfriend to France on a wine tasting tour for her birthday and i'm after some help and tips from people that might have done tours in the past.

I was originally looking at going around October time and wanted to visit Bordeaux. Flights aren't the best to Bordeaux for me so i'm wondering if there are any other regions worth visiting?

Also, can anybody recommend any good tour companies that could arrange the tours, accommodation and transfers etc for me? Seems to be quite a few out there so recommendations are very welcome.

Thanks

Caporegime
Pretty much anywhere in France. Try the Loire, Cotes du Rhone, alsace, burgundy, Champagne, saumur, etc. I also just toured the wineries myself. Aren't hard to find, some are also assocated with a chateau which make for nice trips.In general it is free but you should buy a bottle or 2.

Soldato
Languedoc was excellent when we visited. Some really great wine and beautiful countryside. Carcassone is the closest airport and is a beautiful town.

When we went to Bordeaux we stayed at Chateau Ormes du Pez and arranged everything ourselves once we were there. For some of the more famous chateaus we couldn't get a booking, but we sampled plenty of grand cru's!

Man of Honour
not suitable for this, but maybe other people are interested in it, or perhaps you would be another year.
but Geneva at the end of may every year do a open cellar festival. where they have a free mini bus that goes around and drops you off and pics you up. or if you are feeling active you can rent a bike and cycle, apparently they are quite close together.

https://www.facebook.com/events/521577408033143/

Associate
I've done a few managed wine tours in France, Italy and Austria (not whole holidays, just for the day) and they were good, but I feel that they can sometimes be a bit of a conveyor belt of going to the same average wineyards who are really only interested in getting the minibus load through to buy their wine. I have also done some visits that I have arranged, and these feel a lot more personal and they seem to take more interest in people who've taken the time to contact them personally and make the visit. More effort on your part of course, and you'll need a designated driver, but I think the effort is rewarded.

I'd like to think that the organised wine holidays are better, as they are providing a service for people who want a holiday of wine, not just a quick tour. A tour of Rioja with Tim Atkin, staying at Marqués de Riscal Hotel sounds good to me :).

A friend has been to the Rhone valley and said that it was lovely, and the wine was great. The Loire is fantastic with the Chateaux along the river (I've stayed in Amboise a number of times - beautiful), but it is predominantly white wine. My brother has done the Champagne region several times and you can get some great grower Champagne for amazing value.

Soldato
I have also done some visits that I have arranged, and these feel a lot more personal and they seem to take more interest in people who've taken the time to contact them personally and make the visit. More effort on your part of course, and you'll need a designated driver, but I think the effort is rewarded.

I'm going to the Loire valley end of July. Never been to France before so will language be a barrier (I can hardly remember any from school as i had no interest in learning another language and it was over 20 yrs ago)?
Did you just email or phone when you were there?

Soldato
Languedoc was excellent when we visited. Some really great wine and beautiful countryside. Carcassone is the closest airport and is a beautiful town.

When we went to Bordeaux we stayed at Chateau Ormes du Pez and arranged everything ourselves once we were there. For some of the more famous chateaus we couldn't get a booking, but we sampled plenty of grand cru's!

+1 on Languedoc & Carcassone being a fabulous area.

A different year we visited Bordeaux and I think we found a leaflet for this vineyard in the wine cellar / Tourist Info in Bergerac.

http://www.chateau-lestevenie.com/

Owned by ex-pats, so no language barrier! They couldn't have been more welcoming. We toured the vines on foot and then spent a couple of hours glugging, sorry, tasting their wine sat outside the farmhouse. The rose we tasted was just superb. Shame I was driving but Mrs Chri5 certainly had a good afternoon!

Associate
The guy that runs it is called Alex, he moved from London a few years back and set the company up. Really nice guy and very accommodating.

Associate
The guy that runs it is called Alex, he moved from London a few years back and set the company up. Really nice guy and very accommodating.
I was just wondering if you knew him personally, as we had a bad experience with him a while ago. It may have been a one off, but still wouldn't want others to experience it.

Soldato
I did Bordeaux last summer and it was nice, but I'd go somewhere like Rhone as I hear it's a better place to do tours. Like has been said though,anywhere really! Alsace has some good ones, if you like that wine... same with anything, it's all about your tastes!

taB

taB

Associate
If you do go for Bordeaux then Hamish at Bella Wine Tours is apparently excellent and a friend of a friend. If you want to get into some of the smarter Châteaux then it could be the best route.

Back
Top Bottom