1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

winrar without the spyware?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by stryder, 17 Jan 2009.

1. stryder

Hitman

hi
    can anyone tell me of a site where i can download a kosher version of winrar?
    i download something last week which i thought was winrar but got loads of spyware and crap which took me ages to get rid of. i just wondered if anyones download the real version lately and if had spyware with it.
    any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Memphis

Capodecina

I seriously hope you mean a legitimate copy that you are going to pay for, in which case the official site would be the logical place to start: http://www.rarlab.com/

If you are trying to download a cracked copy, I would suggest you re-read the rules of this board.

3. swinnie

Mobster

4. TheVoice

Capodecina

Presumably you downloaded it from a website other than the official website? I'm guessing you clicked the first link in the search engine results without realising it was an advert rather than a search result. A lot of people seem to do that, for some reason.

5. stryder

Hitman

i`m not 100 percent sure but this looks like the one i downloaded with all the spyware! anyway i thoght winrar was free. i recently bought an Asus xonar sound card , when i download the updated drivers its a RAR file and i cant open it cos i havent got anything that will open the file. thats why i want winrar, but if i`ve got to pay for it...forget it. what a con!

6. Burnsy2023

Man of Honour

A con eh? Since when is paying for software a con? :rolleyes:

7. stryder

Hitman

its not long since i had to shell out for a new system, and then i decided to get a xonar card ,wich costs more than any sound card i`ve bought in the past. i didnt expect to have to payout just to get driver updates.
    i dont know about everyone else but i personally am not rolling in it !:(

8. manjuice

Wise Guy

Yes, because it takes 40 days (free trial period) to unrar a file doesn't it? :rolleyes:

9. eXor

Mobster

^
    This.

Negative. It's clean.

10. thepeganator

Wise Guy

Even after the 40 days you can still actually keep using it.

It just bugs you when you open it up.

11. Dist

Soldato

Winrar is free for 40 days, after that a message suggests you either pay for it or delete it, but it doesn't force you to. There is nothing stoping you from continuing to use the program.

12. stryder

Hitman

thanks for that. i went to rarlab and downloaded a trial version of winrar, downloaded and installed the new drivers , everything working fine , i`m off to bed.

13. drak3

Wise Guy

14. Bane

Mobster

Incase you need rar file support in the future, as mentioned get 7 zip from http://www.7-zip.org/

Once installed go to Tools, then Options menu. On the System tab of the window select compressed file types you want to open by default with 7 zip. I only have rar selected for me.

15. stoofa

Capodecina

Winrar costs €30.
    This is a one off payment and you can upgrade to the latest version FOC as it is released.
    You'll use the product numerous times in your lifetime - as a package it can uncompress numerous different archive packages.

Yet this €30 is just too much?

Why do people just not understand the concept of paying for software?
    The world does not owe you a living.

16. SimonC

Wise Guy

Thats what I use, its free and does what I need, don't see the need to pay for something else.

17. hohum

Wise Guy

Bought WinRAR ages ago, for an app I use so often it's more than worth it. Did try 7-Zip prior to purchase to see what it was like, but found the UI to be pretty poor in comparison.

18. cavemanoc

Mobster

Because 7-zip is free? :p

19. cavemanoc

Mobster

Just add it into the shell and you never have to use it - just tell it to do its thing and never look back - true value for 'money'!

20. Dist

Soldato

Why should people pay for software when other companies have software that does the same job but is free.

If winrar was the ONLY program that could open rar files, then buying it would be reasonable. But since free programs can do it to, you are basicaly wasting money on something that free programs can do.