Winter barge purchased - apparently I don't learn from my mistakes...

Soldato
*skip to here for full details: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32256479/ *

Well, that time of year is upon us - and being out in the sticks I thought I'd go hunting for something AWD to get me through the cold months.
The 330d needs some TLC, so I thought I'd capitalise on the empty garage at my old house to get it done - and in the meantime, I have bought...

...another VW Phaeton!
I sold the last one as it being LWB was proving quite annoying - the driveway on that particular house wasn't long enough for it, and parking on the road was a no-go as several cars had been vandalised.
I've just moved to a nicer area, have a 4 car driveway and thought that 4Motion would be quite handy in the colder months.

Truth be told, this is just stupid 'man logic' as I only bought it due to the insanely low price - around £2k.
It's a 3.0 TDI SWB, bought totally blind and I'm off to Port Talbot in Wales to pick it up tomorrow.
What I know so far - it's black, reg in 2006, has done around 140,000 miles... and that's it.
Short MOT, stupidly high road tax and 35MPG on a good day.

Wish me luck! Pics and more details incoming once I'm home tomorrow night. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thank you!
With stupidly high levels of electronics, two batteries, notoriously grumpy systems.... it's a safe bet right? :p

In all honesty, if it's a nail I could break it for spares and make the money back. I bought it in the hope it'll see me through winter, anything else is a bonus!

Man of Honour
I would have figured that the cheap 330d needing so much work it's not driveable would have told you all you need to know about once great now cheap and old diesels.

Soldato
OP
Not driveable? It’s still fine to drive :) just needs a few engine mounts changing, centre prop bearing noise needs looking into (again), some interior trim replacing and going to fit the spare turbo I have while it’s in bits.
Old one is still OK (for now!) but a fair bit of shaft play and tiny blue haze. Makes sense as the spare was pennies and us sat doing nothing :)
I enjoy tinkering, so it’s more of a hobby than ‘oh balls, the shed is broken again’!

I have to admit, this is probably more for fun than actual solid logic... but why not. Road trip! :D

Soldato
I bet the 5L TDI has the engine management light on for a sensor that needs the engine taken out to get to it ! The new rules for failing an MOT with an engine management light on will take a lot of cars off the road.

Caporegime
So you’ve taken your 330d off the road because it needs work and replaced it with something that’s most likely going to need more work?

I’m not seeing even man logic here tbh!

Caporegime
You’re far too sensible for my liking. Get out :p
Fingers crossed this is reliable over the winter so I can just flog it next year.
I’m many things but sensible with regard to car ownership isn’t my strong point! :D

Fingers crossed it will be reliable for you, you’ve got to get over the hurdle / money pit of the short MOT first though - in my experience the reason cars are sold with short test is because the vendor is aware of a failure issue that’s going to cost £££ to fix otherwise why not just slap 12 months ticket on it and command a better price not to mention making it more appealing to potential buyers???

I hope I’m wrong for you, really I do, but I think your in for a shock come test time alas.

Back
Top Bottom