winter cycling shoes

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I commute to work 6 miles each way. I live in Manchester. It rains and is getting cold. I have flat pedals as I don't like being clipped in.

Normally when the rain starts, I put on my overshoes and then my waterproof trousers. They do a good job, my feet don't get wet but they're a pain to put on and then they need drying / cleaning.

I think it's time I invested in some decent warm, waterproof shoes / boots to wear. I was thinking something like;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-flash-gtx-winter-boots/

Does anyone have experience with them, and can offer any advice?

Man of Honour
If you have flat pedals you may as well just get decent water/winter-proof walking shoes. Buying cycling-specific ones is just going to make it harder for your to walk around.

Caporegime
Seems like you'd be spending more than you need to buying clippy cycling shoes and then not doing the clippy thing. Your money would be better spent on decently waterproof regular shoes, as FT says.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
Non clippy cycling shoes are a thing, I've not seen many waterproof normal shoes that have the gator that extends up from them as in the Northwave shoes I linked without being a boot. I would not be wearing these during the day / walking in them. I'm looking at cycling shoes as I want them to be able to handle driving rain flung at them from all angles yet still keep my feet warm.

Am I wrong here?

Associate
I've got the Northwave GTX road bike shoes and Shimano MW5 for my MTB. Both are toasty and warm and great winter shoes but both fill up with water in prolonged downpours. It makes me think that there is no truly waterproof shoes, just different levels of water resistance.

Soldato
I've got Sidi Hydro 'winter boots' and Northwave Fahrenheit shoes. Both are clip-in 3 bolt (road) shoes. I did previously own the 2 bolt (MTB) version, the Northwave Celsius you're probably thinking of. You could wear these with flat pedals, but they are designed as a clipless shoe (there's no rubber insert to cover the cleat holes with).

They're all good in rain showers and will give you more coverage than shoes & overshoes, but none of them are as waterproof as something like hiking boots are to heavy rain & spray. All of the above (and the Shimano ones) suffer from having a neoprene cuff around the ankle which will soak up water and with your sock underneath eventually lead to wet feet (in constant rain/spray). My best compromise has been to wear overshoes over the top, but again after several hours of riding in heavy rain your feet will eventually be wet. Sealskinz and other brands do 'waterproof' socks, unfortunately I don't own any to try. I usually make sure I'm wearing merino socks so even though my feet get wet they do not get cold.

Velotoze tall shoe covers are also good, there's no way the pair I have would fit over my boots so I've not tried them. They work well over shoes in spray. One problem with Velotoze is the lack of breathability. You're also very dependant on the soles of your shoes being impervious to water. Most are not!

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the replies, I'll pop into somewhere and take a look at some walking / hiking shoes and see if any would be suitable.

Plot twist: lobby your employer to get somewhere you can dry your wet shoes.

I've no problem in drying my wet shoes, I just don't want them to be wet in the first place!

Soldato
I've got Sidi Hydro 'winter boots' and Northwave Fahrenheit shoes. Both are clip-in 3 bolt (road) shoes. I did previously own the 2 bolt (MTB) version, the Northwave Celsius you're probably thinking of. You could wear these with flat pedals, but they are designed as a clipless shoe (there's no rubber insert to cover the cleat holes with).

They're all good in rain showers and will give you more coverage than shoes & overshoes, but none of them are as waterproof as something like hiking boots are to heavy rain & spray. All of the above (and the Shimano ones) suffer from having a neoprene cuff around the ankle which will soak up water and with your sock underneath eventually lead to wet feet (in constant rain/spray). My best compromise has been to wear overshoes over the top, but again after several hours of riding in heavy rain your feet will eventually be wet. Sealskinz and other brands do 'waterproof' socks, unfortunately I don't own any to try. I usually make sure I'm wearing merino socks so even though my feet get wet they do not get cold.

Velotoze tall shoe covers are also good, there's no way the pair I have would fit over my boots so I've not tried them. They work well over shoes in spray. One problem with Velotoze is the lack of breathability. You're also very dependant on the soles of your shoes being impervious to water. Most are not!

Velotoze from calf and cut off at ankle over the top of your boots will mean nothing gets in then,your legs will be wet but nothing gets in from above.

Soldato
The bottom of non-modified Velotoze would get ripped to shreds in seconds with non clipless pedals I'd have thought. I'm empted to try the cut off ones over ankle/calf if I find my GTX boots let too much water in.

Also might be worth looking at Mavic and Louis Garneau's range. The latter can often be found discounted at Evans.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom